London Theatre District Hotel Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking about staying at the Le Meredian Picadilly or the Radisson Mountbatten in the Covent area as that is where two theatres are that we want to see (mama mia and lion king)... can any one recommend either of these hotels or others that are walking distance in this area? Also open to any suggestions.

Thanks, Jim
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 03:55 PM

I found a room for two friends at the Mountbatten. I visited them there. We got a really cheap deal for a week, and their room was top floor, sloped ceiling and really small with tiny bath, but nicely furnished. They still loved the place and the staff couldn't have been nicer to them. I think the tiny room was mainly because of the super deal (less than 80 pounds per night for the week). I like the street it's on with a couple of really good restaurants right there. Mama Mia couldn't be much closer, Lion King is considerably further.
I think it is a lot more "neighborhood" in feel than LeMeridien. It would be my choice of the two.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

WOW how did you get it for 80 GBP ???
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 06:32 PM

I told you it was a special deal! I wrote them saying I had a flat in the neighborhood and needed a place for two friends to stay if they could give me a special rate for a full week. That's what they offered.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 06:41 PM

I have also stayed at the Mountbatten. Although I wasn't lucky enough to get the deal Patrick's friends got, my room was also incredibly small. I thought it was a nice hotel, pleasant staff and surroundings and good location, but I won't stay there again. My room was the size of a shoebox and while this is part of staying in London, it was too claustrophobic for me. There really wasn't even room to put an ironing board up! Haven't stayed at Le Meridian. You might consider checking out the Renaissance Chancery Court. It's not as central, but it's still only a 10-minute walk or less from Covent Garden. This is where I've stayed the last several times I've been to London. It's a beautiful hotel with VERY spacious rooms. Or, isn't there another Medidian hotel that's not on Picadilly? I can't remember which street it's on -- but seem to remember that it's by the theatre where Fame is currently playing.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 06:47 PM

Yes, you're thinking of the old Waldorf which is now a LeMeridien.

My friends said during their stay they peeked in a lot of other rooms at Mountbatten and thought they really got the small one. Due to the price they never complained, and we all hung out on our flat anyway. Maybe a lot of the rooms ARE that small.