COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

4* Thistle Marble Arch $60-$70

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

4* Thistle Marble Arch $60-$70

What's wrong with this (price) picture?

I don't know what's going on there, but for some reason, people are getting rooms in August and September on Priceling.

Maybe they're renovating and the guests have to endure dust and noise. But I figure it can't be THAT bad.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Change "priceling" to "priceline for next to nothing" (some characters deleted themselves).
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:57 PM

I have also noticed people getting these great deals too. I thought other London deals were good but this seems to beat the lot by some way. I thought the hotel had just had some sort of renovation but I heard that second hand so could be wrong.

Where else would you be staying for $60 in London? I could live with a few minor potential downsides at this price (a "Priceline room", some ongoing renovation or whatever).

The location is good and reports I've heard of the hotel seem pretty good too.

However, if you want Claridges or wherever, you may have to pay for it.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 04:10 PM

How do you get this deal?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 04:20 PM

This hotel used to be called the Mount Royal Hotel. There is a report on Virtual Tourist that says they had a deal last year (no later than September) for GBP 55, so perhaps the room they are offering is cheap because not yet updated or because it is summer?

http://www.virtualtourist.com/hotels..._7EH-BR-1.html

I stayed at the Mount Royal twice, the last time 9 years ago. We had what I suspect is now called a deluxe. The hotel was originally designed as studios so the rooms were huge. There was an entry hall from the hallway with a second door into the living room area of the room, so it was quiet from the hallway. Beside that once in the room was an alcove with twin beds and in front of both was a large sitting area. To get to the large bathroom (full bath with shower over and WC) you went through a walk in robe / dressing room with tea and coffee making facilities. The location is good as it backs onto Oxford Street and is a couple of blocks from Selfridges etc and the West End is easily walkable.

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

theilian, the prices are reported on biddigfortravel.com as having been won on priceline.com