Jesmond Dene in London??

Search

Jesmond Dene in London??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jesmond Dene in London??

Has anyone stayed here? Can you tell me what you think of the hotel and it's location? It is located at 27 Argyle Street, Kings Cross, London. Trip Advisor gave it a good review. What do you seasoned travelers think? Thanks! Going to London in May.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry - but I wouldn't stay there if they paid me. That's just me though. It is in Argyll St just outside Kings Cross station. A very busy/congested/noisy area. Plus it is not cheap for what you get - a single w/ shared bath "from" £50, single w/ private bath "from" £80 - which means rooms will run up from those rates).

For doubles it is a slightly better deal but still "from" £60 to "from" £80.

When you realize you can get a double in a 4star, full service hotel in a nicer area for less money using priceline or hotwire - in the $85-$105 (£40-£55) range
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM

I spent 3 nights there late June 2005 and paid 35£ for a single. I was on the top floor in a TINY room with a single bed and shared bathroom and toilets.
Unfortunately June was very hot that year and my hay fever started as soon as I left Waterloo station. I spent one of the worst nights in that suffocating room with no air (tiny window I couldn't really open) and had to ask for a fan on the next day.
It is not on a major street and I liked the location (I like everywhere in London, no matter what it looks)but it was a bit noisy with people making noise with engines on the street below.
It is not a hotel for me, just a B&B in a big house, rooms are very close to each other.
I had read good reviews about that place as well and it was a good rate at that time. I liked the English breakfast (included)
Last year I found a bargain with Travelodge (26£ for a family room)and the room was the double in size + bathroom and toilets...
Happy travels!
coco
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
coco - according to the website, apparently their rates have almost doubled since you stayed there . . . .
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Avoid this hotel at all costs. I'm convinced that the reports on Trip Advisor are written by the hotel. We stayed there for three nights and it ruined our stay in one of my favourite cities. You can see our trip report at:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34946152

(I posted a negative review on Trip Advisor and they 'invited' the hotel to comment on what I'd said. It was obvious from the hotel's reply that they hadn't really read what I'd written. Basically they said that I hadn't paid for a superior double - which I had - so what did I expect to get for their cheap rates.)

Terrible room, service, location and general decor. The only good thing was the breakfast - or maybe I was just trying to find something to redeem the place.

Take janisj's advice.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I too stayed there long ago when it was labelled a B&B which it is and surrounded by scores of B&Bs in one of London's cheapest B&B ghettos - probably to serve workers from Scotland during the week or points north on the mainline from Kings Cross

I have stayed in several B&Bs in this area and they tread in name only on the good reputation of a British B&B - many are indeed dumps

Jesmond D however was fairly modern inside - and at 25 pounds a night then a good deal for a low budget traveler

But at prices now i totally agree with Janis that you can do better and the area, though seemingly due for an upscaling along with the renovation of Kings Cross-St Pancas stations for the Eurostar trains, is still generally not appealing

not dangerous IME but tacky.

I now stay in a typically cozy run by an elderly lady B&B for 24 pounds with a huge real B&B breakfast - not some institutional thing that leaves you hungry like in these Kings X B&Bs - but it's a 20-min train ride from London but in an ordinary neighborhood which i actually like better than in central London where accommodations are so extremely expensive

Take Janisj's many posts about arranging online to get a deal for London or head to the burbs