Royal Horseguards Hotel

Apr 14th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Royal Horseguards Hotel

This is fantastic hotel in a great part of London!!! Two minutes to the Embankment Tube Station or Charing Cross Station. Walking distance to so many places you will visit. Beautiful rooms! We ended up paying $156 for a huge (large as a suite!) room with 2 beds. The marble bathroom had a double vanity which was also fantastic. Gorgeous hotel!
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:58 AM
MHS

Thanks for the report. We're booked for late May. Do have a few non-earthshattering questions. The coffee/tea "pot" is that basically just to heat water for tea or instant coffee? As opposed to the small Mr. Coffee pots we find here in USA. Did you use the concierge desk for any tickets/reservations? Any feedback on breakfast - either in hotel or near-by? Since we should be arriving well before the "official" check-in time, we are planning on leaving our bags in their baggage check area until returning in late afternoon. Did you use that service -- just wondering if staff would make it a hassle & if it was secure? Again, thanks so much for the encouraging review.
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:10 AM
KEC

Hi MHS,
I am not the original poster, but I have stayed in the hotel, and I LOVED it.

To answer some of your questions:

- We used the concierge to get us tickets for the Lion King (awesome!) and for the Tower of London and London Eye.

- We got there before check-in, and they let us right into the room. We were surprised because we thought that we would have to leave our luggage.

- We ate at the hotel for breakfast one morning, and it was good, but expensive. It wasn't part of our room rate because we got the room for $100 USD per night on Priceline.

Have a great trip!
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:27 AM

I have also stayed here and can vouch for it. The customer service was excellent. I went last year with a German friend who was visiting London for the first time. We were put in a small, nicely furnished but fairly dark double room overlooking an inner courtyard. I asked if it would be possible to move to a room with a view (and seperate beds) explaining that my friend was new to London and would love a view. They did not have any more twin bedded rooms with a view for that night so moved us to a junior suite for all three nights at no extra cost. I thought this was a lovely kind touch, especially as we were only paying about �80 per room per night. The room was beautiful, pretty Laura Ashley style furnishings, marble bathroom with a wonderful shower with water jets coming at you at waist level as well as from top, nice lobby area with chequerboard flooring, neat touches throughout the room plus the room service full english breakfast which was a great start to each day. I would stay again.
Angela
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:46 PM

Another vote for the Royal Horseguards. I have been to London several times, usually staying at different hotels, but this is my favorite. Classy, upscale, good location--great hotel.
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:15 PM

So, where can I get such wonderful rates and make sure its the Horseguards? (i.e., not priceline... they scare me)...

I'm going in September, and the Horseguards sounds delightful...
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:03 AM

Green dragon,

I booked via their website www.thistle.co.uk (I hope! I am guessing the address). They often have weekend deals and also have an auction site where they auction unsold rooms at really good prices - but the auctions are usually for travel within the next couple of weeks.

MHS I left my luggage with concierge on the day we checked out so we could have a further day in London, it was put safely in a back room with no problems! Breakfast was included (weekend rates) and had option of a healthy breakfast as well as full english and continental!
Angela
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:08 AM

ps website address is correct, rooms seem to be starting at 88 UK pounds over the easter weekend. Do ask for a room with a view if staying there.
If anyone has a Waitrose/John Lewis account card, they sometimes run special offers on Thistle (and Moat House) hotels.
Angela
Apr 15th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

My $156 room (88 pounds) did not have a coffeemaker in it. (or I couldn't find it!) I should have asked for one.) The breakfast was awesome but I don't know how expensive it was because it was INCLUDED in my deal. You can walk about 2 minutes to the street adjacent to the Embankment Station and have coffee and pastry at Starbucks or there is a bagel place just a few steps away. You will absolutely LOVE this location! Right up the stret is Easy Everything, an internet cafe. Very convenient and cheap for e-mailing home!
Apr 15th, 2003, 06:06 PM

Darn... I try to put in my dates and they are 'invalid'.... it will take September 3 to September 7, but not to September 17.
Apr 16th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Room # 557 did not have the river view but the view was still a very good one. HUGE room and HUGE bathroom with 2 sinks. 88 pounds...$156. Request it!!
Apr 16th, 2003, 08:08 AM

I was looking at the Thistle website, and it says to call for rates on the 'family' sized rooms (we would need a triple). Has anyone stayed in a Triple (or a family room) at the Horseguards? If so, were you able to get a deal on the rate?
Apr 16th, 2003, 09:23 AM

GreenDragon

It sounds as if you may be entering in US date format mm/dd/yy. Check that you are using dd/mm/yy.

Kert
Apr 16th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Its a drop down list of months, so not much room for error (this is on the Thistle site)

"An error has occured or some of the data you have entered is invalid
The dates that you have selected are not available. Please try alternative dates or check other properties"