Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Accomodations-What is your date and rate?

Sep 20th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

I am pouring through a wealth of info on where to stay in London and how to get a good rate. I thought it may be fun (and helpful) if people wanted to share where they are staying (or have stayed), what they paid and when they are going.

We are a family of 4 (kids 5 & 9) and we will be in London the last week of November 2003. We have not made our room reservations yet. I'll post back when we do.

Thanks!
Sep 20th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Hi Cathy,
I was in London in June of this year. We stayed at the Marriott Maida Vale (zone 2) by going through priceline. Our cost was $89/night (and I do mean dollars). The hotel was terrific--large room, king sized bed, refrigerator, and large bathroom. We also got VERY lucky and were put on the executive floor--which meant access to the lounge (breakfast foods each morning, soft drinks, bottled water, etc. and tea and coffee all day). We also had free internet access in there and were able to use our laptop to book our Londone Eye tickets and do other quick research. The bus stop was right across the street and the tube stop was a five minute walk away. This was a great deal through priceline and being in zone 2 was not a problem at all.

Have a wonderful trip!
Sep 20th, 2003, 07:51 AM

I just did research for a family of 4. We will be arriving in London 4/7 for 4 nights (this is Easter week). I found it difficult to price quad rooms on most booking sites, as many didn't even have quad as an option. I called hotels directly and that's how I booked (I wanted to make sure their accommodation for 4 would work for us). The Abcone hotel offered a quad room for 140GBP, the Cranley Gardens Hotel offered to interconnected rooms with balcony at 89GBP per room. Both hotels are in the So. Kensington area, are 3 star, include continental breakfast and come recommended here and on tripadvisor.
Sep 20th, 2003, 07:54 AM

I use priceline frequently in the states but would hesitate in Europe becasue rooms for 4 are much harder to come by and there is no guarantee that even 2 rooms would be interconnecting or at least adjacent. Also my kids like separate beds, that also would be unpredictable with Priceline. These are just my concerns, if anyone has done priceline in Europe for a family of 4, I'd love to hear about your hotels.
Sep 20th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Try the Kensington Moat House (they have a Web site that I can't remember, but you can google it). Last year they ran a special--any-size room 79GBP and it includes a full English breakfast. The special ran from October 1. I used it in October and sent my brother, his wife and two kids there in early November. The quad rooms are a very large (by London standards) room and an anti-room with bunk beds. The location is terrific--a few doors from the South Ken tube station and just around the corner from Cromwell/Brompton Road and the Natural History Museum, Victoria & Alberts, Harrods down the street, etc.

FYI, I stayed at the Abcone a few years ago and, though the location is really good--just a block from the Gloucester Road tube stop--the hotel was quite shabby and had an odor. If you want the Gloucester Road tube area (though with kids I'd choose the South Ken tube area), see if the Adelphi has quad rooms.

You can go to hotel-assist.com and check out rates on these and others, along with pictures. As others on this board know, I also am a big fan of the Rembrandt for location, ambiance and the best breakfast I've encountered. They also have an indoor pool and sauna, which the kids might like (the pool anyway). I got it last February for 89GBP through hotel-assist, which was an incredible deal.

Have a great trip!
Sep 20th, 2003, 11:29 AM
vcl

We take a flat in Oxbridge Apartments in Kensington at $107 per night for living room/kitchen, bedroom and bath. Bedroom is tiny, bath is eccentric, living room/kitchen held 10 for a wine and cheese party. Management is very acommodating. Needed repairs are quickly made; you can borrow an iron and ironing board; they installed a new cooktop for us one evening.
We were last there in October, 2002, and expect to return in Spring, 2004. My husband and I stay for a month.
They have a website; we usually chat by phone and confirm by fax.
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:28 PM

We have stayed at Scala Apartments the last few trips (they also give a 10% discount to returning guests). It averages out to about $175 a night (dollars & including all taxes) depending on exchange rate. For that we have a 2 bedroom apt. It's not super fancy, but it works for us! The larger bedroom has a kingsize bed and the small one a double (we use that room to store our luggage and extra stuff). Decent sized living room w/dining area. Kitchen has all conveniences, i.e., microwave, fridge, washer/dryer, dishwasher, all pots, pans, stove, dishes etc. These apts. come with 2 bathrooms! The main one has a tub with hand held shower and the cloak room as it is called is just a toilet and sink -- it's so great to have two tho! There is lots of closet space and one can really feel at home. Maid service is every 3 days. "Our" apts have always been on the 9th fl. so we have had a super view out over London. I was able to check the time before going to bed on Big Ben !! The tube is around the corner as is a Tesco grocery store, Boots, etc. Sainsbury's is a few blocks away. Apt. staying is not for everyone but we love it. While I don't really cook on vacation it's nice to have breakfast & coffee in and sometimes lunch. Snacks too! We will be going back in April 2004. The owners and manager are super people and a delight to deal with.
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:04 PM

WE have stayed at Barkston Gardens, hotel they have large rooms and inc cont bkfast--its located at Earls Ct tube--a short 1 min walk and there are tons of restaurants and shops in the area--cost from 80.00-115lbs depending on what type room.
[email protected]
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:05 PM

or [email protected]