London Hotel for 200 GBP?

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Hotel for 200 GBP?

My husband, 6 year-old daughter and I are going to London for a quick 5 days in October. Since I've now booked an interim trip, I need to more a little more fiscally responsible in my hotel planning than earlier anticipated (so, thanks to those who answered questions about Covent Garden Hotel but I need to dial this down!); so London folks, can I find a comfortable hotel for around 200GBP/night? I would love suggestions on properties to consider since I am going blind looking at tripadvisor, booking sites, etc. One thought I had, which I would seek opinions on, is whether I am booking too early and should wait for some better deals. We don't want to go the apartment/flat route since we like having the amenities of a full-service property. As to location, this will be very kid-oriented: Buckingham Palace, Royal Mews, Tower of London, Kensington Gardens.

Thanks in advance,

Mary
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:43 PM

Some will tell you to try priceline I do not like the uncertainy of location.. I use londonnights or londontown ,or lastminute
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jody, I don't think I will do Priceline because I need to be certain of the bed arrangement; thanks for the other tips.

I now see that I have a typo in my message, sorry, of course I mean, that I need to be a little more fiscally responsible. . .just a difficult concept, I guess.

thanks again,

Mary
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:05 PM

Perhaps it is a little too early for good deal yet. I have booked hotel rooms throught www.Londontown.com about 4-6 times every year for the last few years, usually good deals coming out within one month. I have paid from 40 to 90 pounds for rooms over 200 GBP rack rate.

After staying at dozens hotels, for sightseeing, I still prefer hotels around Trafalgar Square, as it is most centre located for major sites/ theatres/restauratns on foot or by bus/tube.

One little extra bonus is the child will enjoy morning walks at nearby St.James Park, visiting the pelicans and friendly squirrels.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:41 PM

I can recommend the Montague on the Gardens, in Bloomsbury (close to the Russell Square tube station, from which all the sites you plan to visit are easily accessible). Their published rates for the type of room you'll need are higher than £200, but you can often find a better deal on Londontown.com or on the hotel's own website (www.redcarnationhotels.com).

The Montague is about a 10-minute walk from Coram's Fields, which has a children's playground, and to which (your daughter might be amused to know) adults are not admitted unless accompanied by a child.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:44 PM

I would just say that the Tower of London and Kensington Gardens are at opposite ends of the city, so you might want something inbetween that is also convenient for Buckingham Palace. We stayed at the Thistle Traflagar Square, just off the Square, and it is fairly central to those three sites. It's also convenient to a tube station, plus almost every bus line in every direction stops at one of the stops on Trafalgar Square.

I have no idea what their triple rooms cost, but we were very happy with the hotel. It also included a buffet breakfast that had just about anything you could want. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:51 PM

Would you consider a flat? Citadines Trafalgar Square has a great location, they will rent for any number of nights.
I have friends who stayed there last year, apartments come in several sizes, you would have a kitchenette (good for snacks, breakfasts, and such.) The apartments, I am told, are clean but quite basic in furnishings. Most hotel services cost extra: maid service, extra towels, etc.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:49 PM

Mary, we've stayed at the 4* Rubens Hotel a couple of times and really like the hotel and the location. It's across the street from the Royal Mews and Buckingham Palace and just a couple of blocks from Victoria Station.

I did a search on londontown.com for the Rubens, and got a triple room rate of 157 GPB plus tax for an arbitrary date in October. You could also check directly with the hotel to see if they could do any better on the rate.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:10 PM

I wouldn't advise Priceline, although I almost always do, because you require triple occupancy.

One place I looked at was the Novotel Waterloo, which has standard rooms with a double bed, single bed, and sofa. The location is walking distance to a lot of sights, and with a bus stop adjacent, although 9 minutes walk from the tube.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:41 AM

There are plenty of comfortable hotels in your price range in London. Can you give some more details on what your minimum requirements are--what makes a hotel "comfortable" for you?

We did stay in the Renaissance Chancery Court a few years ago and found it quite comfy.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:57 AM

I've almost always used Thistle Hotels (try www.thistlehotels.com) also www.kelkoo.co.uk which lets you compare prices. There are several Travel Inns around the city and they are cheap and cheerful - about £45-50 per room per night and there's one right by the London Eye opposite the Houses of Parliament - location is City Hall - just key Travel Inn into a search engine and it should come up, though you could try www.travelinn.co.uk. Good luck and have fun. And with children the Natural History Museum and Science Museum are free entry and good for an half day out.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

BettyK, thanks for the note on Rubens--I have e-mailed them to get a quote--did you find the location convenient?

Rufus, one of our big "requirements" is a restaurant on site; we have found that unlike when adults travel, if you have a small child with you, you actually DO spend time at the hotel and it is nice to have a restaurant; also breakfast included is key since it is nice to have the child fueled up before we head out!

Has anyone ever stayed at the Kensington House Hotel; they actually have a junior suite in our price range but the tripadvisor reviews are all over the map.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, I appreciate your time.

Mary
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:25 AM

If you have a charming telephone manner you might like to try Claridge's, The Berkeley, The Dorchester...

If you don't mind The Strand location (which I wouldn't recommend) then The Savoy which is permanently empty will be only too delighted to offer you a super rate.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:32 AM

The Crowne Plaza St. James (or St. J CP?) on Buckingham Gate Rd. is offering an internet rate of 89 pounds. It it looks like quite a nice property (and there are some mostly favorable reviews at bidding for travel). There's a wonderful-looking courtyard - a great place for your daughter to run off some energy, maybe.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

m_kingdom, thanks for chiming in; I just checked the Berkeley's website and they have some deals that are not that far off the Red Carnation hotels' rates; this will be worth some investigating--thanks.

Tucker (are you in D.C.?, I am), I will look at your suggestion, as well.

Mary
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:42 AM

One of the loveliest hotels we've ever stayed at in London is The Basil Street - http://www.thebasil.com/

The service is amazing, the location just a few steps from Harrods and half a block from the Kensington tube stop. If you look at their website they specials right now and usually do during the year except for summer. It isn't a large chain hotel, it is where English people stay when they come to London and they have a classy but warm and inviting dining room.

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:00 AM

The Basil Street Hotel also offers a very affordable afternoon tea
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tip on Basil Street; I sent them an e-mail.

Mary
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

wow, is this board moving fast! I'm sending myself back up to the top. . .

Mary
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Rick--I got a really nice e-mail back from Basil Street and they are in the right price range; can you tell me what breakfast is like there--thanks.

Also got a reply from Rubens in which the rate is higher than on their own website, when I asked if they would just match that, they said no, if you see it on the Web you just book it, which annoyed me.

Thanks again everbody!

Mary

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -