Lockers in Paris Train Stations - Info needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2004, 10:45 AM
CAV
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockers in Paris Train Stations - Info needed

Hello everyone!
I will be flying into Paris and then heading to Italy and the South of France only to return to Paris two weeks later and then head north to Netherlands and Belgium. This trip will occur in the last two weeks of September and the first two weeks of October. Therefore, I will need to pack both summer-ish and fall-ish clothing. What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to rent a locker in a Paris train station for approximately 10 days in order to store my fall clothing so I don't have to lug it all the way to Italy and then back to Paris? Does anyone know what sort of time limits there might be on locker rentals and whether it would be safe? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? My basic itinerary is set in stone. Thanks in advance for any info offered...
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 12:53 PM
ira

Hi CAV

From http://www.paris-touristoffice.com/v.../pratique.html

Paris train stations : at each train station, you will find a left-luggage office :
Gare Saint Lazare : rue Saint-Lazare, 75008, Paris.
Gare de l'Est : place du 11 novembre 1918, 75010, Paris.
Gare du Nord : 18, rue de Dunkerque, 75010, Paris.
Gare de Lyon : place Louis Armand, 75012, Paris.
Gare d'Austerlitz : 55, quai d'Austerlitz, 75013, Paris.
Gare Montparnasse : place Raoul Dautry, 75015, Paris.

Old Aug 15th, 2004, 04:23 PM

Train station luggage lockers are normally valid for up to 72 hours. Better to stash your goods with the attended luggage room. I left a bag at the Schiphol attended luggage room for three weeks when I flew off to Africa.

Better for the parts of Europe you are visiting is to dress in layers. One good wind and rain breaker cures a lot of Netherlands weather problems, throughout the year. But the weather will not be so cold in October. Pack light and you won't need to store your stuff.

Old Aug 15th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Why not ask your hotel if they can store a piece of luggage for you until your return?
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM
CAV
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied with your suggestions! Dressing in layers is the intent but the two of us were hoping to get away with carrying only one pack to the southern areas and leaving the other pack in Paris. The secondary benefit of storing one pack, besides having fresh clean clothes in it, is that it would be almost empty when we pick it up in Paris and will have plenty of room to carry our "souvenirs" (namely bottles of the world-class beer from Belgium).
Asking the hotel to stash the pack is definitely worth a try! But in case that's not an option, can anyone tell me the approx. cost per diem for a left luggage room in Paris (probably Austerlitz station)? Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 08:12 AM
ira

topping
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 09:55 AM

I would be very surprised if a hotel would take responsibility for storing your luggage for 10 days, especially if you aren't returning to stay in the hotel. I just don't think they want the responsibility, nor it taking up space. They will probably disclaim any liability for it, of course. If you're staying in a luxury hotel, it's probably a different matter, however, as they have more space and you're paying for a lot more service.

I don't know how the lockers vs. hand checking works for time frames, but it costs about 5 euro a day for hand-checked storage, and about 2-3 euro a day for the automatic lockers.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:16 AM

I've not seen any left-luggage depots in Paris stations the past few years, there may be some but you may have to use the lockers, a max of 48 hours or 72 hours, then a note in the locker area says items will be removed and charged at a per piece rate, or something; it could be very expensive. You could consider checking your luggage on the train to Amsterdam, if possible, more and more it is not anymore, and then claim in two weeks later. More and more nowadays you can check luggage only to an address and not another train station. Ask the luggage room attendant about it, it may be the cheapest way to go. I've found many hotels will let you leave stuff there if you are returning to stay.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Hello
I live near Paris (25 minutes from Paris by RER B. It's a direct line.)
I can give you an appointement at my station Massy Palaiseau then I can keep it FREE for you for the time you need.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Sorry, if you're interested : [email protected]
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 01:36 PM
CAV
Original Poster

Thanks again to everybody and especially to Salsagirlnearparis for your generous offer. I think we've made up our minds just to take both packs with us for the whole trip because the last thing we want to do is be hiking through Cinque Terre and worrying about luggage in Paris! Again, thanks for the advice and suggestions.