Search

Buses in Paris for family with baby

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buses in Paris for family with baby

Hi,
Some recent posts about taking metro with our toddler (16 months old) has me now wondering whether it's just going to be better to take buses in Paris. Problem is, I don't know anything about the buses there. (Always took metro pre baby).

Are there good websites out there with routes, fare info, etc?

thanks,
Kat
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 02:36 PM

I became a big fan of the buses on my last trip after several trips of always using the metro. I don't know the web site for the routes (though there probably is one). I just looked at the signs at the bus stops and figured it out as I went. It was much easier than I had thought. And there always seemed to be a bus going where I wanted as oppossed to the metro which often required a change or two. And you can see where you are going. Not quite sure why one would be preferable to the other in terms of the 16 month old. But overall I think buses in Paris can be a great way to get around.

They take the same metro ticket as the metro so just buy a carnet and use whichever form of transportation is best for where you want to go that day.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 03:11 PM

kat, I believe there's info on the Paris superthread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 04:06 PM

I recall seeing a mother with a stroller and baby on the bus between the Eiffel Tower and Gare Montparnasse. I don't think she even folded it up, but I certainly would.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:26 PM

We took the bus a couple of mornings and they were quite crowded. So you might want to allow for morning/evening 'rush hour' crowds on the buses. On the other hand, all of the walking/climbing in the metro underground might not be a much better alternative (but at least you've experienced that for comparison).
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:47 PM

If you want to know routes, there is a general map of the bus lines, as well as detailed maps of every single line by number on the RATP web site www.ratp.fr They also have info on the fares and other general stuff.

I have seen people with small unbrella-typa strollers on the buses occasionally. They can get too crowded for that in peak periods and on peak lines -- the only time I've seen people with strollers (or luggage) was during off-peak periods. There is an area towards the back of the bus without seats where you are supposed to be with a stroller (there is a sign to that effect, in French). It's near the back door (on buses without an extension).

It isn't common -- you don't see a lot of people on the buses with babies and strollers; too difficult, probably.

The fare isn't any different than the metro, same tickets. The only difference is if you want to transfer bus lines (get off and then wait for another), you have to use a ticket for each bus. If you have a pass, it doesn't matter.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... didn't realize this would be such a complicated decision to bring the baby to Paris.

Actually, my husband and I now are discussing strategies... either way if we take the buses or the metro I think my toddler will be attached to me with my sling (as opposed to a bulky backpack carrier or stroller).

I'll definitely make sure I check out the bus routes before the trip, though... since it looks like the metro might be more challenging than I remember.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Could someone please tell me when the morning and afternoon/evening rush hour is in Paris. We are trying to plan our transporation - private shuttle versus Metro/RER to CDG and I can't determine which way to go until I know the traffic situation. Our flight leaves CDG at 10:50AM on a Tuesday morning and we were told to be at CDG by 7:50AM. The private shuttle service recommended a 6:30Am pick up from our hotel in the 7th arrondisement. If necessary we can take the Metro a few stops to the St. Michel RER and cut out potential traffic or travel time. Is the Paris rush hour later or the same general time frame 6-9AM as here in the US metro areas? Thanks for your help. If I hijacked this thread, I apologize and just let me know. I'll post my question separately.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 12:20 PM

hi again skatterfly.....metros and busses are both fine in Paris. I don't see where there is a problem. I took my little one on, (light-weight) stroller and all and would sit near the door so I could get out in time for my stop. I was there in March and managed fine with her. The busses are fine, but for me, the Metro took me exactly where I wanted to go (beneath the monument); and I would just walk above-ground and push her in the stroller for all the other places I wanted to get to/see.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

MDMom, I don't think you've hijacked it but I don't think you'll get much response since it's an older post and my questions got answered. You'll get a better response with a more specific subject.

But, while you're here, can you tell me what shuttle service you're using? The only one I'm familiar with is the limo service recommended by my apartment owners, and it's absurdly expensive, so we're trying to decide how to go to and from Gare du Nord.

Also, Huitres, thanks for that feedback. I think it won't be a problem either, though I wonder if you could tell me what you would (or have done) getting from Gare du Nord with luggage to your hotel/apt? Our options are a 70EU private car service, or putting my parents and all the luggage on a taxi and my husband and I hopping on the metro with the sling. The third, cheapest, but not likely the easiest, is get us all on the metro and hope we're not a bottleneck or victim of pickpocketing since we'll be a big big target with 4 adults and baby gear. THANKS!

~kat