Loches, a good location to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in the Loire for 4 nights in late September.

Looking for locations to stay. We like B&B style accommodation and have found some nice ones in Loches. Would Loches be a good location to base ourselves for the 4 nights. We will have a car and be dropping it back at Tours before catching a train back to Paris.

Any suggestions?
Old May 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM

I don't see why not. If you like the B&B or place you are going to stay and the price is right...it is as good a place to base yourself as any. You will be driving around anyway to get to the various chateau so Loches provides a fairly central location. Loches has one of the most impressive fortresses (is that a word?) and is along the Indre river - so the area in general is pretty and the town itself is attractive and medieval so yeah, I would go there - in a heartbeat.

Enjoy.
Old May 17th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Joe for you input.

The B&B is by the river. I just wasn't sure whether it was too far south.
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:35 PM

We loved staying in lodges last year and stayed in a b&b overlooking the river. Great town with some good restaurants and markets on sat and wed I believe!
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:03 PM

'We loved staying in lodges' - by that I think you mean Loches? We stayed there several times, and loved it. That was a while ago, but I doubt that it has changed that much. It was a good location for seeing a number of chateaux, and is an attractive town itself. Of course coming from chilly Canada to a place where trees and flowers were already in bloom was a good start.
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies

Now I remember!, Jamikins, reading your great trip report about the Loire and sneeking a bottle of wine or two.
I have narrowed our accommodation choices down to 2 & your B&B is one of them. (I have just been reaquainting myself with your excellent Chateaux run downs. Not to mention the food)!!

Yes Carlux Loches does indeed look lovely and we have looked at driving distances & I think it will be a pretty good location and certainly a lovely town
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:39 AM

Hahaha - yes, we were the ones that snuck the wine in! If you do stay there be sure to tell them we say hi - but please dont mention the wine hahahaha!! Highly recommend it!

They do have a lovely patio overlooking the river where you can eat and have wine.

Sigh...missing France!!!
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Loches was a very good location for us to go in different directions to visit Chateaux's. As suggested, a great castle where concerts are held.