Search

Location of hilton Vienna?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Location of hilton Vienna?

Hi there,
In 4 weeks I am travelling with my husband to Vienna. His company has booked him to stay at the Hilton Vienna. While my husband is at his meetings I would like to wonder outside the hotel. Is it next to the shopping area? If not, how far are they by foot? What else is close by? Would it make more sense staying at the hilton plaza if I want to be near shopping areas?I am taking my 2 toddlers with me (3 and 1) so would love to know the size of the hotel rooms. I know travelling with children is always a sensitive topic but I have always travelled with my parents and would like to do the same with my children.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:15 PM

Vienna actually has three Hiltons. The Hilton Vienna is just re-opening after a complete renovation. It is next to the Stadtpark, just outside the Ring or major shopping area. Major shopping is about a 10 minute walk. With two small children it would be best to take public transportation ( U- bahn -the Vienna subway or a tram car) that is a 3 minute walk away and a five minute ride to reach the best shopping.
The Hilton Danube is not convenient to anything and should be avoided.
The Hilton Plaza is just on the Ring. Public transport is in front of the hotel with shopping about the same distance away as the Hilton Vienna.
I believe room size would be about the same.
As the Hilton Vienna is all new it may be the best for you.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:34 PM

I stayed in the Hilton Vienna Plaza last May. The hotel was very nice. We had a fairly large room with a king bed and a sitting area that included a sofa, two chairs and a cofee table. Great bathroom. But it was not as luxurious as I had hoped. I think the Hiltons are going downhill -- getting a bit shabby. We stayed in Hiltons all over Austria and Germany. They were fine, but not really special. The location of the Vienna Plaza wasn't so great either (although I am told that it is the best of the three Hiltons). Nevertheless, it is a bit of a walk to the Old Town and the pedestrian zone, especially with two small children. Take a taxi and you'll be fine. Vienna is marvelous. Have a wonderful time.
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Molker and Athena39 thank you so much for your comments. Since there seems to be little difference between the hiltons I guess we will keep are reservations at the Hilton Vienna. CAn you still help me by tell me what is is close to please? Is there anything interesting close to the hotel that my kids or I might enjoy? If I do decide to take the tram where do I get tickets? Thanks for your help.
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:58 AM

The Hilton vienna is acoss the street from the Stadtpark ( a nice city park with walkways and a childrens area.The western end (opposite end from the Hilton) of the park has a nice Cafe with terrace and music.
Ask the hotel to direct you to the Landstrasse- Wien Mitte Station for access to public transport. It is next to the Hilton by walking through a passage. You can buy city transport tickets there. children are half price. The tickets are also good for the trams .
The U-bahn #3 ( subway)will take you to the center of the city in 2 minutes- Stephansplatz stop. This is just one stop away from the hotel to all the shopping you want and much sightseeing.
This can also be easily walked in about 10 minutes.

Schönbrunn Palace has an exelent zoo in the park adjacent to it. A fun time.
Perhaps a horse- drawn carriage ride in a Fiaker ( a nice carriage)if you wish but relatively expensive.

The Prater, the city amusement park is easy to reach also if your chilren are old enough for the numerous rides.
The Prater also has the giant ferris wheel.It is great for kids as it has large compartments to ride in and is very safe for small children.
Ask the hotel for directions- a short ride on the subway.
I hope this helps a little.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Does anyone know if the Hilton Stadtpark has a shuttle from the airport to the hotel?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:55 AM

I stayed at Hilton Vienna last Augaust, the single room I had was quite spacious.

I am not sure about the suttle bus from airport, but the flat-rated taxi from airport to the hotel cost 35 euro.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 01:30 AM

I do not believe the Hilton has a shuttle from the airport.
The CAT train ( city airport Train) found on the lower level of the airport arrives in the city adjacent to the Hilton and costs 9 euros.
A taxi like Cand K costs 25 euros- airport to the city.
If you do not have much luggage , the train is the way to go.
They had numerous technical problems when it first opened several months ago. Most problems are now corrected.
With several pieces of luggage , the taxi may be bst as you must take several stairs, escalators or elevators to and from train.
Message for Judy- You may be confused about the various Hiltons in Vienna as the Hilton Vienna was closed last August during a renovation period and just reopened this May 2004.