Search

Amalfi Coast & Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 01:55 AM
NHC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast & Sicily

We have around a week at the beginning of Sept. to travel to either the Amalfi Coast or Sicily. I really wanted to do both, but after reading some of the posts on here it seems like that may be stretching it. So now I have to decide which location to go to. In terms of the Amalfi Coast, I am currently having foot problems, and since I am not sure whether they'll be better by Sept, I was wondering whether it is doable to go to the Amalfi area without walking much, as I've read how cliff-y it is there which requires a lot of uphill walking and steps. We'd probably stay around the Positano, Ravello, Amalfi area. Are there places to stay and things to do that don't require much walking?
Would Sicily be a better choice given the situation? Or do some people think that Sicily would just be preferable on its own? We have not traveled to Southern Italy yet, and really want to do so. We are interested in beauty, relaxation, and cultural sites. Thanks a lot for any advice you may have.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:31 AM

Both locations are fantastic. Generally speaking the Amalfi Coast is the steeper of the two - masses of steps are unavoidable. Most of the villages in both locations have cobbled stone streets so the surfaces can be uneven, I no sure whether this would be a problem for you.

Positano is the steepest village to navigate on the Amalfi Coast. It has a good local bus service which runs up and down the village, though I am not sure how regular it is or how late it runs (someone else might be able to comment on this). Amalfi is definitely flatter and the centre of the village is on one level. I can't comment on Ravello cause I have never been there, but I here it is lovely and I suspect you could spend a lot of time sitting around enjoying the views. Capri is on two levels, but it is easy enough to get a taxi between the two as well as Annacapri. There are boat trips to be taken between the villages on the coast, and seeing the Grotto at Capri is all by boat. If you want to limit walking, then you will be sitting around eating and drinking a lot in these places, something I certainly enjoy on holiday.

Taormina is a lovely place to visit in Sicily. It is on a hill top but the centre is along one level. There is a cable car running down to the beach and the weather should be pleasant in September. You might be able to take a trip to Mt Etna (obviously without walking up it) and many of the ancient ruins around town can be appreciated from a gentle distance. There are a lot of daily bus tours advertised in windows around the village. Cefalu is a charming village (about an hour by train from Palermo) and if you want to lie around on a beach it is perfect. The village is quite moorish and the Cathedral is beautiful. Palermo is an interesting place to visit, though it's not very relaxing so probably a night would do. Syracuse it also interesting for it's historical significance. From memory the ruins aren't that steep but could only be viewed on foot.

I'm not sure that this helps you much, but on balance I would suggest Sicily over Amalfi Coast if you are concerned about too much walking.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:44 AM

I cannot comment on Sicily cause i've never been, but I think you will miss out quite a lot if you can't walk around in the Amalfi Coast. There ARE plenty of things to do where you can just sit down and watch. I am not the world's greatest walker, but I thought some of the highlights of Positano and Capri were being able to walk around the less crowded parts (most of them quite steep, or cobbled and uneven). Also, if you're doing the Amalfi coast it's worth visiting Pompei which again requires walking.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:37 AM

The Amalfi Coast and Sicily are two very different places. More than the issue of walking, I think it would be important to know what your interests are. By way of gross generalization, I found Sorrento and Positano to be more upscale than Sicily (excepting Taormina.) There are more English speakers among the locals and the tourists. Both have great natural beauty, as well as historic sites. Sicily is more gritty, not as tourist friendly, but ultimately I liked it much more. It's hard to say which would be more appealing to someone else. I was glad I went to the Amalfi Coast, but I doubt I'll return. I will certainly return to Sicily. I also think it's a no-lose proposition: either one would be a great choice.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 02:35 AM
NHC
Original Poster

Sicily it is! Thanks for the responses.