Amalfi Coast & Sicily

Search

Amalfi Coast & Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast & Sicily

My husband and I leave for Italy on Saturday. We are going to Ravello on the Amalfi Coast for 4 nights and then driving Taormina on Sicily for 3 nights. What are the things we MUST do? We rented a car for the whole time, so we can get really anywhere...
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM

Well I guess, if you really want to get any inkling of the cultural vitality of southern Italy, then visit anywhere on the mainland other than Amalfi, and anywhere in Sicily but Taormina. Mooch through small villages in Basilicata instead of Amalfi, and, once in Sicily, why not try visiting small villages in the west-interior, such as Piani del Albanesi and Corleone. You might care to look for options in hidden europe magazine; http://www.hiddeneurope.co.uk
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:03 PM

We were in Taormina last week. Do visit the Teatro Greco in town.
We also visited Ortigia (next to Siracusa, for which we didn't have time) and Noto, two very pretty baroque towns. Although we appreciate the efforts of the Italian government for finally restoring the beautiful buildings in Ortigia and Noto, we were really sorry that lots of the monuments were under scaffolding. We found it to be an interesting trip, though.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:13 AM

Re Teatro Greco ... make sure to go there in the morning for the best view of Mt. Etna. As from noon the top of the volcano is often in the clouds.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:27 AM
ira

Hi K,

>What are the things we MUST do?<

A. Drink limoncello
B. Eat gelato
C. Leave the car and take public transportation
D. Don't worry about what you must do and learn to enjoy "la dolce far niente"

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:32 AM

Be sure not to fail to vist Villa Cimbrone in Ravello - the gardens are beautiful; and booking an evening table on the terrace makes for a <i>most</i> romantic meal.
I'd also recommend dropping in on Paestum just south of Salerno when you start your journey south to Sicily - extraordinary Greek temples that are in a wonderful state of preservation and with few crowds.
It's easy to drive to Pompeii from Ravello if you've never been before it's worth a trip - but becareful not to over do it - it'd take a day or more to see it all but becomes a bit much after several hours in the heat and crowds.
My best advice for the Amalfi Coast? - mostly just chill and try not to hare about seeing averything - it's more the &quot;experience of being&quot; than the &quot;having of experiences&quot; which, for me, defines this beautiful coastline.

Dr D.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:15 AM

You probably don't want to change your arrangements at this late stage, but if I were you I would cut Ravello down to 2 nights. It's very small &amp; quiet, &amp; there isn't actually anything to 'do' except see the 2 gardens (Villa Cimbrone &amp; Villa Rufolo). Unless you are going to the music festival ? We stayed there for 4 nights &amp; regretted not just visiting it on a day trip.

OTOH maybe you are just wanting to relax somewhere nice for a few days at the start of your trip, in which case fine.

If you do want more to do from Ravello, you could visit Amalfi &amp; Positano. If you don't want to drive yourself (&amp; most people don't fancy driving the Amalfi Drive), you can get local buses which are very cheap. Or for Positano, get the bus to Amalfi then a boat.

I love Taormina &amp; 3 nights is not too long at all. I have been to a lot of other places in Sicily but I still think Taormina is the nicest : yes, it's touristy, but in a nice way (pretty, &amp; lots of good restaurants !).

A bit confused, though - do you have several days on the road between your 4 nights in Ravello &amp; your 3 nights in Taormina, or are you expecting to drive from one to the other in one go ?