General questions about Sicily

Old Jun 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General questions about Sicily

My husband and I are thinking of going to Sicily next year. We've been to the Amalfi coast of Italy several times and love it, but we wanted to do something different. I'm just interested in general impressions - is it easy to get around? Are the people nice, is it relatively clean, etc? We travel alot, but are older so we need to go places that are fairly easy to navigate. Curious about cities to visit other than Palermo and also suggestions on the best way to get there besides flying. I knowyou can take a boat, but I'm not keen on the idea of going to the docks of Naples. I'd be interested in hearing about experiences others have had there.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 11:58 AM

The best way to get to Sicily is to fly. Sicily is more of a cultural experience than the Amalfi Coast and is a fabulous destination. While I found the Amalfi Coast to be beautiful and well worth a trip, Sicily is a life experience.

It is best visited with a car, public transport is possible but not very easy. We visited Palermo, Monreale, Agrigento, Piazza di Amerino, Siracusa (Ortygia) and Taormina. We fleew into Palermo and out of Catania. I would love to go back but the list of places yet to visit is too long.

The people are lovely, the food is delicious, the scenery is exceptional. The culture is so interesting with Italian, Roman, Greek and Moorish influence. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested. In many ways it reminded me of Italy 40 years ago.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM

Sicily became of one of the favorite places we have visited. It is especially engaging if you like Greek and Roman antiquities. The food was spectacular and the people were nice. You will need a car once there. And do not fight the Sicilian way od driving embrace it. Be sure to visit Cefalu.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:03 PM

Getting around with public transport isn't difficult:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-november.cfm
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:12 PM

I just came back from a wonderful trip to Sicily and wrote a long trip report. Just click on my name.

Also read other reports. Use the search function to help find them.

I loved Sicily!
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM

I loved every bit of Sicily. It was the right trip at the right time for me, and, coming from glitzy Southern California, I welcome grit. It sights are spectacular and its people warm and hospitable. Here's the link to my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ecial-trip.cfm.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:36 PM

I can't say it better than mamcalice does. We visited Sicily last year with friends who were sure that Sicily was way out of their comfort zone. They decided to trust us, and now they can't wait to return. As older travellers as well, we found the roads into town to be rather steep in places, but we took our time. We'll be returning next year.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM

I wanted to add that we flew into Catania and out of Palermo. The connection from Rome to Catania was smooth and the flight relatively short. No problem renting a car there for drop-off in Palermo.

The highway is well-marked and a pleasure to drive on. Signage can be tricky into the towns, though, but a good map will remedy that.

Agrigento is a somewhat gritty city, but one I thoroughly enjoyed as a photographer. The people were lovely and the food very good.

Don't forget to try the cassatta - absolutely worth returning for. =)