Just back--Amazing Sicily!

Oct 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Just back--Amazing Sicily!

Hubby and I (mid-50’s) spent 9 nights on our self-drive trip and we highly recommend the following hotels and must-sees (please Google the names to reach the websites)-
We spent two nights in Taormina at the wonderful Villa Nettuno. Only 74 EU (70 EU if you pay cash) and our room had a balcony PLUS full roof-top terrace with cushioned chaises and table so we could dine on take-away pizza overlooking the bay- Tell Salvatore you’d like “Room N!”
Be sure to visit the public gardens after seeing the incredible Greek Theatre and lunch at the open air restaurant just outside the gardens’ front entrance.
The hike up to small town above Taormina (Caselmolo?) was VERY HOT and I wish we’d taken the bus!
We absolutely LOVED the Aeolian Islands—We turned in our rental car (we used and liked www.Kemwel.com) in Milazzo and walked three blocks to the ferry port—Vulcano was totally terrific—We stayed one night at Hotel Conti (black sand beach and decent restaurant) and soaked in the sulphur pool.
Be sure to let the mud dry on your face/body and then go down the small steps into the sea, turn right and walk carefully to the small rock-ringed pool—This is where the hot springs bubble up through the sand and it’s magical!
Our favorite island was Salina—We stayed at the incredible www.HotelPuntaScario.it in room 14 for only $110EU— We’d read so much about the Hotel Signum, but they charge a min. $250EU! The Punta Scario is a 2 minute walk from Signum and FAR superior!! The white buildings, covered with gorgeous pink bougainvillea, are perched on the sea (hence the “Punta”!) and our balcony had the BEST view of Stromboli and Panarea of any place on the island. My brother actually stayed at Signum so we saw their room and ate at the very over-priced restaurant. He was jealous of our room, location and price! The ladies who run Hotel Punta Scario are delightful. The Rostachario in the small town of Malfa had the best roast chicken for only $4EU—We ate there twice! We took the little bus to Pollara and swam in the gorgeous blue water.
We also loved our stay on Ortygia (Siracusa) at the Ortygia Appartamenti Forte Vigliena—Again we had a roof-top terrace, small kitchen and beautiful iron canopy bed. The apartment hotel is in the renovated old Jewish Quarter with an excellent location.
We also enjoyed Cefalu, but hotels there are VERY expensive and nothing like our other “finds.” And we found a wonderful beach south of Siracusa called Vendcari Beach, on the road between Noto and Pachino. Kind of hard to find, but worth it!
A few more tips: We always travel with only one small rolling bag each which allows us to jump on and off ferries and rent the smallest (cheapest!) cars. We used FF miles to fly to Milan, then flew EasyJet.com to Palermo and departed from Catania. We plan to return to “do” the rest of Sicily (Agrigento and southern coast) soon!
I have wonderful pictures of our trip and welcome your suggestions on how to post them!
Susan

Oct 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Thanks Susan for the tips - this is a def on my list and I have added your tips to my list
Oct 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Thanks for such a great post. Due to illness, we had to cancel our planned trip to Sicily last Spring, and the Amalfi Coast trip that had been planned for September. Your post renewed my excitement about going to Sicily and traveling again.
Nov 4th, 2007, 07:27 PM

ttt
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:26 AM

Did you have any trouble driving in Sicily? We will not drive in Palermo. Any tips would be helpful.
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM

Glad that you enjoyed Sicily-my daughter spent a semester in Ortigia and it remains to this day the place she wants to live in.I love Sicily and the spell it has cast over me!