Rome, Amalfi and Sicily in 21 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are travelling to Italy early May and I am trying to determine my itinerary for Rome, Amalfi & Sicily. I've read numerous guide books and blogs regarding recommendations, but none address one of my issues. We really aren't the biggest fans of cities or museums. My daughter & I visited Spain last fall & our favorite place was Ronda, though we also enjoyed the older central area of Sevilla. We also like to hike. We thought 3 days in Rome, 5 days on the Amalfi coast and 9-10 days in Sicily.

Although Palermo sounds interesting, I am getting the impression that we would not enjoy this. Any thoughts? For Sicily, we would like to try to climb Etna, stay in Ortigia, travel to Agrigento and if possible get to Erice. Is this too much ?

For the Amalfi coast, I had planned 2-3 nights in Sorrento, for greater ease to Pompeii & Capri, but now I'm thinking that we may like to spend a night on the island, or on Ischia.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 01:37 PM

Sounds like a nice trip---I am glad oyu have adequate time to do justice to Sicily. Click on my name to find trip reports of mine for both Sicily and the AC. Meanwhile, here is Sicily in May:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3828
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 03:17 PM

Since you are not big on cities or museums, it sounds perfect. The AC and Sicily are both fantastic. Lots of great walking and beautiful landscapes in both places
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 03:17 PM

CalgaryDoll, I'm also doing research for a trip to the Amalfi coast in Sept and am interested in Ischia,; for lots of information on Ischia do a search here for A_Brit_in_Ischia. A fellow called Peter lives there and has a wealth of information and seems really helpful.

I'm sure you already know there is some tremendous hiking in the Amalfi area.

And bobthenavigator who responded above is also an absolute gem for good information.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That definitely sounds like a good plan. You might consider trying to stop off on Stromboli between Naples and Sicily, I didn't visit it, but it sounds like your kind of place. I loved Sicily, and Ortigia and Erice in particular. Click on my name for my TR, which will have links to photos.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 03:44 PM

Since your Sicily wish list includes sights in the east and west, consider flying into Catania and out of Palermo or vice versa.