Sicily and the Amalfi Coast

Mar 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Sicily and the Amalfi Coast

Going in September and have decided to drive in Sicily and spend 1 or 2 nights at several locations, including Palermo, Syracuse, Agrigento, Taormina and ending up in Naples for the trip home, but my question is, most people do not suggest driving the Amalfi Coast, so can we get transportation from Naples to Amalfi and then from Amalfi to a location to catch the ferry to Sicily. Can we pick up a car in Sicily or just drive to Amalfi and leave the car?We think we would stay in Amalfi and just travel a few days (3 or 4) up and down the coast and then go to Sicily for about 10 days. Thanks for the help.
Mar 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Sicily is geographically quite large (mapquest should be able to give you rough estimates of driving time from place to place) and rich in beauty, layer upon layer of culture...and very good food. We spent three weeks there in 2002 and felt that it was not enough time to do it justice. Would you consider spending all your time on this trip in Sicily (you can fly in and out of Catania with Lufthansa, Palermo with Alitalia) and save the Amalfi, Pompeii and Naples for a vacation on its own?
Mar 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
ira

Hi al,

>most people do not suggest driving the Amalfi Coast,<

It is not that the coast road is particularly difficult or dangerous, it gets clogged with traffic.

Most of the tour buses, and nearly all of the tourists, do not realize how narrow the road is. None, but the locals know where to stop to let the buses by.

You can do it. Just be prepared to sit and admire the views a lot.

Advice from one of the bus drivers: If you hear a very loud horn from the other side of the curve or tunnel - pull over and stop.

Enjoy your visit.

Mar 24th, 2009, 02:07 PM

I've taken the overnight ferry from Naples to Palermo..that might be an option for you; I think you will be fine with a car. If I can do it, anyone can!!

http://www.viamare.com/SNAV-naples-palermo.html
Mar 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

We may not get back again so we want to see as much as we can without going crazy but we do want to see tha Coast and maybe the Isle of Capri. Any suggestions on a place to stay in or around Amalfi, everything seems so expensive. Also do you or does anyone know what full board and half board mean? Thanks for your help.
Mar 26th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Full board is 3 meals and half board is breakfast and either lunch or dinner.

I LOVED this hotel in the town of Amalfi:

http://www.hotelfloridiana.it/
Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Ira & EK, Thanks for your help & info. Al

Search this Thread