Local Transportation in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In about 10 days I will arrive at the Rome Termini train station (coming from Florence) and need to get to the Westin Excelsior Hotel (Via Vittorio Veneto 125 Rome). According to Google Maps it is about a 5 minute car ride or a 15 minute walk.

I emailed our hotel as to the best way to get to the hotel and they have offered a limo for €67 as the cheapest of three options. Even though we have luggage, we feel we can walk rather pay such a high amount for five minutes in a car.

Are local taxis available for a reasonable rate? Seems like I should be able to get a taxi for €10, o
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:48 AM

A taxi for about E10 is about right. Google maps suggests three routes, all between 1.4 and 1.6 km, between Stazione Termini and Via vittorio Veneto 125. That is one mile, a bit of a hike with baggage, but a brief ride in a taxi. Be sure you get a taxi with a meter, and the SPQR city shield on the door; it would not hurt to have printed the Google map (or similar) so the driver knows that you know it is only one mile.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:14 AM

OK please tell us - if 67E was the cheapest! what were the other two??
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Sounds to me as if the Westin is going to be an expensive stay all around if that's all they offer!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
charnees - that's what I was thinking. in Rome last year we paid less than that to get from central Rome to the airport. I think that I would be a little wary of a hotel that made that sort of suggestion to me.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 06:38 AM

where did the OP go? I was really interested in these options for my next trip to Rome! Those Termini taxi drivers can be tricky!(even the ones in the official line). Always good to have an idea of a reasonable price but it seems the Westin may be working on a "scam" of their own.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 07:35 AM

Or you take the metro from Tremini for 1 Euro:
Line No METROA (BATTISTINI) to 2 stops get off at stop Barberini walk 100 meters.

www.Atac.roma.it is a good source to find how to get from point A to point B by public transport. www.viamichelin.com is great for walking directions
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 09:34 AM

Good advice from kayd on the taxi. Also, be sure the meter is on "Tariffa 1" as tariffa 2 is for trips outside of the city and the meter tics faster. I'd take the taxi rather than public transport since you'll have luggage. For the rest of your visit the local buses and metro are easy to use and work well.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 09:49 AM

It is an easy walk from Termini to the Westin on Via Veneto if you are fit, as it is UPHILL.(You will pass the St. Regis Grand Hotel and the US Embassy.) If you are older and not in shape then take a taxi. It will only be a few euros.

The good thing about the Westin on the Via Veneto is that is very close to the beautiful Borghese Gardens. It is also close to a Metro stop.

The bad thing is that the Via Veneto is a horrid tourist trap. DO NOT eat at one of those cafes on the street. You will be charged EXORBITANT prices for very mediocre food.

Take a taxi to Buca di Ripetta, Cul de Sac, or Trattoria Monti instead.

I LOVE Rome.

P_P