Living in Sicily

May 8th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Living in Sicily

My sis and bro in law just found out they will be stationed in Sicily for 3 years with the Navy starting in October. I'm SO jealous! They are a bit nervous having never even been out of the US let alone living anywhere else (I should say he's been out but she hasn't) We haven't visited Sicily YET (Sicily Here I come!) Does anyone have any tips for them on the culture or Sicily in general? The base is in Signorella. Thanks.
May 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 8th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Hi swalter, I have never visited Sicily so I have nothing to offer except to suggest if you want to give them a going away present I would suggest that you buy them the Sicily book by Dorling Kindersley. I think that book would really add to their understanding and enjoyment of Sicily. And lucky you..you will be going to Sicily I am sure!
May 10th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, what a great idea! Yes, if you remember the movie White Men Can't Jump (a reach, I know) there is a scene where Wesley Snipes sings "I'm going to Sizzler" but I was dancing around the house singing, "I'm going to Sicily"...
May 10th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Oh swalter, lol, I would be dancing and singing around the house too!!
Isn't is wonderful to have something so special to look forward to? Take care and keep singing!
May 10th, 2006, 10:29 AM

My daughter just finished studying in Ortigia which is about an hour south of where Signorella is (by Catania). Your sis and bro in law are the LUCKIEST people to be stationed there! Sicily is a wonderful country;the people are very helpful and caring and the food and culture are what make it so much more special than Italy. There is a website that is all about being stationed in Signorella that they should look at-I used to have it but would have to look for it. The main thing that I would tell them to do is to go outside of the "military bubble" and experience Sicily as a native. My daughter has been back only two weeks but is trying to figure out a way she can live in Sicily after her college graduation next year and she has traveled extensively.Let me know if you want her to answer any specific questions!
May 10th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Sicily is actually part of Italy, rather than a separate country. However the northern Italians will debate that issue... My husband, who is actually napolitano but has spent most of his life in tuscany, swears that Sicily is part of Africa.
May 10th, 2006, 10:38 AM
oncebitten

How lucky they (you) are. There is a poster here who is stationed there right now, if I am not mistaken. I can't remember her screen name; maybe she will see this and give you some needed information.

May 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Hopefully the poster there now will see this. My SIL is very excited but kind of overwhelmed with everything that must be done. Her husband is out at sea until mid-August so she's got to do most everything herself and have it pretty much ready to be shipped by the time he gets back. I know it's generally hot but what type of weather should she be prepared for late fall/winter?
May 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I read a book a few years ago that was very much like Under the Tuscan Sun, but set in Sicily. I can't remember the title or author, but I will look for it.
-Katie
May 10th, 2006, 01:25 PM

I believe that the poster that is living in Sicily at Signorella is the name MOUSEREID? She was tremendously helpful for information when my daughter was trying to decide about Sicily vs another semester abroad spot.Do go back and reread past posts on Sicily and you will get alot of information.I think I found the internet site for Signorella-hold on.
May 10th, 2006, 01:27 PM

The Signorella site is:
http://www.sicily.navy.mil/nassig/
May 10th, 2006, 03:39 PM

It's SIGONELLA, not Signorella. It's the second best deployment that the Navy has. After Gaeta, it's number one.
May 10th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Wait 'til your sis and bro in law read this blog:

http://sicilianodyssey.blogspot.com/

They're gonna love it. Travel all the way back to July/August of 2004 to the present. I believe she is a teacher at the Sigonella base. It's a really neat blog to follow.
May 12th, 2006, 06:22 AM

Hi! Well, I can only say congrats and welcome to the military on the island! If they could try and live out in town and not in housing, it really will widen the experience. Try not to get caught up in the Nas 1, Nas II, Housing triangle and meet many wonderful Sicilians!
There are a few websites...:
http://www.mwrittsig.com/ MWR trips!
http://www.sicily.navy.mil/home.htm - what you will need to know with regards to military and living here.
I hope they have a great sponsor! They should be in contact with you and meet you when you arrive, arrange temporary accomodation and answer questions by email!
Also, bring an open mind and heart to fill
Cheers!