Malta plus Sicily OR Cyprus??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, we are in the early stages of planning a trip to Malta for Sept/Oct. We have 3 weeks and want to also visit somewhere close by and thought of Sicily or Cyprus. The Emirates flight back home to Australia appears to go via Cyprus which is why we thought of that country. I believe we can get to Sicily easily by ferry.

Any thoughts from those who have been to these areas? We have been to Italy a few times but not Sicily and know very little about Cyprus. We are not the sort to lie on a beach and are not into nightclubs or bar hopping. I am leaning towards Sicily for it's atmosphere, history, beautiful old buildings, gelati etc

What do you think?
Kay
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know Cyprus, but from what you say, I think you would enjoy Sicily. The palimpsest of cultures -- Greek, Roman, Arab, Norman, Angevin, Spanish, and there are others that I have probably forgotten -- makes the island a fascinating place to visit. Add good food and wine, and what more could you possibly want?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Kay - I agree with Kay. I'd definitely opt for Sicily with your criteria - and even without them

I've only seen the Greek part of Cyprus, but really it doesn't compare with what Sicily has to offer.

Steve
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Never having been to Sicily I can't comment on that, but have been to Cyprus a few times (the Greek side).

It does have some nice parts and some great history, but there are also some very ugly sprawling holiday resorts that it sounds like you would not enjoy.

At times it seemed like being in England but with nice weather and sunburnt drunks.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. I did a bit more reading up on Cyprus today and think we will opt for Sicily instead along with Malta. I'll be back with the 'where to stay, how to get around' type questions soon! In Sicily I think we'll stay in either Taormina or Siracusa. We travel on a budget so not sure if Taormina might be too $$$$.
Kay
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Kay,
We're planning a trip to Cyprus and Crete this October and haven't found many posters who have been to Cyprus! We have been to Malta and Sicily and absolutely adored Sicily! We got a great rate at the Hotel Villa Schuler...we had an amazing room with views of both Mt Etna and the sea and it was incredibly reasonable. We've been to Sicily twice now and my one recommendation would be to not drive in Taormina...the streets are packed,small and windy. We adored the Aeolian islands...and also enjoyed Siracusa (although it is very easy to get lost driving in Siracusa). Happy planning! Lisa
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi Lisa,
Since you have been to both Sicily and Malta - how would you recommend splitting up the 3 weeks we have? We want to stay on Malta and Gozo as well. In Sicily we only intend to see some of the east/south part of the island.
Also, on Sicily, how hard is it to get around by public transport? I think the ferry from Malta comes in to Pozallo so we'd have to catch a bus to wherever we are staying - Taormina probably but maybe Siracusa. We also want to visit Piazza Armerina - do you know if that's hard to get to? A day tour would be fine if we could find an English speaking one.
Thanks!
Kay
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM

Kay,
We found Sicily to be far more of interest than Malta. We enjoyed Valetta but we're much more into history and architecture than resorts so we didn't spend more than a week there. I'm not sure about public transport in Sicily. It seems like the area between Palermo and Taormina is well serviced by train but it might be hard to get to Siracusa.We've rented a car in Sicily both times but my husband tends to be an intrepid driver. Nevertheless I highly recommend Sicily...so much to see and such great food! Beware of the jellyfish though...this October the jellyfish were out in droves and I was stung for the very first time in my life. If you do have a chance pick up the Rough Guide to Sicily and Lonely Planet...both of these guides often have very good info on public transport!
PS I do know that Piazza Armerina is located inland...I'm not sure if it would be very easy to get to but you might see if there is a bus from Agrigento???
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:19 AM

Kay - There are several buses daily between Catania and Piazza Armerina.
The service operator is Etna Trasporti.
You can find timtables on:

www.interbus.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. My husband thinks a car in Sicily might be a better option than train/bus but having seen how the Italians drive, I'm not so sure! Also parking is usually a problem in Italy. I will check out the Interbus site.

Also, it seems the ferry from Malta to Sicily only goes once a day, very early from Malta then very late coming back. This seems strange, is there something I'm missing? If anyone has caught the ferry, did you go to Pozallo or Catania?

Kay
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:32 AM

hi,
i am originally from malta though living in Belfast now...i would suggest going for a trip on the catamaran to sicily, its not expensive and they also do day trips in summer. see www.virtuferries.com
in malta try to see the hypogeum (you need to book see http://www.heritagemalta.org/visiting.html for details) some of the old temples, the island of gozo, and mdina. I would stay away from the Sliema area if you want to see the nicest areas...
gianfranco
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:43 AM

I find that driving in Italy is fine when you stay out of the major cities.
You just drive the way you normally do, and people will just pass you if they don't like it. In Sicily, I have only found parking problematic in Taormina and a slight bit in Ortygia, Siracusa. It's not enough of a problem, in my opinion, that it should dissuade you from having a car. There is nothing better than having a car to stop and explore whenever you want.