Driving Times in North of England

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM
WMR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Times in North of England

I am planning a drive from Lakes (Coniston) to York, and trying to get a sense of the driving time. It's 120 miles on the map; how much time to allow?
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 01:38 PM

My choice of route is through Windermere and Kendal, then A65 to Skipton, A59 to Harrogate and York, 108 miles. Average speed around 40 mph, so will be around 3 hours in normal traffic conditions. You can expect hold-ups in evening rush hours 4-6 pm driving through Harrogate and Knaresborough.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Alec's route is probably the quickest, but if you have not been in the area before (and if you are not on a tight schedule) I would probably take the A684, and then the A6108 via Ripon and then down to York. This route would take you across the Pennines through Wensleydale, Hawes, Bolton Castle, etc. It is a very scenic drive but it would take a little bit longer.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:36 PM

Hi
I am not sure if Janis lives in the north of England (I do!!) but I take issue with her comment that the A684 would take 'a little bit longer' - it would take a considerable amount of time longer, and should only be entertained if you are doing this drive as part of a sight-seeing holiday. Plus if you are talking about a good (nice weather!) weekend in summer I would forget it completely! Are you trying to get from A to B as quickly as possible? Or are you actively seeking a slow route that takes in the sights along the way? Also when are you doing this trip? In the summer and at weekends it can take a long time travelling out of the Lakes.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:06 PM

Morgana: I debated what to say in my original post about the extra driving time. You are right, I don't live in the north of England. But I have been on both of those routes and would "guesstimate" the route through Wensleydale would add an extra hour. Is that about right?

But I answered assuming WMR would be on holiday so that's why I recommended the lovely A684 routing.

If, on the other hand, he just wants to get from point A to Point B then you are right the A65/A59 would be faster.

And if he is talking about a summer Sunday -- all bets are off, and he should just resign himself to miles of tailbacks . . . . . . .
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:29 AM
WMR
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the response. A little more detail: we will be leaving Coniston on a Thursday morning in late June, headed for Catterick to see ancestral home, then on to York. After reviewing your comments and a map, I'm torn between A684/A6108 to Catterick, or the time-saving M6/A685/A66/A1 to Catterick. The cross country route is so tempting, both for the sights and the appearance of it being so direct from Kendal over to Catterick.

Further thoughts?
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 06:06 AM

Having spent far too much time in the car on my trip to England, I would recommend using the time wisely, i.e., if you've gotta be in the car, at least drive near sites you want to see! So my vote would be scenery... but then again, I'm not the one driving
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:17 AM

Hi
Thursday morning, early June - good time to travel. I'd do the scenic route and make the journey a pleasure rather than a chore. There's soooo much to see though - I need more idea about if you want old Castles, Abbeys, waterfalls, pretty villages, views etc etc and then I can advise where to linger, including a delicious pub lunch!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:57 AM

If you are on business - go the fastest route. If you are on holiday - go the slowest. One of the wonderful things about an old country like the UK - and other European countries where goeography doesn't get in the way - is that there are roads that weren't just "made". They evolved - from footpaths or cart-tracks.

Single lane - sometimes below high hedges, and sometimes out on the high lands. A lot of the north of england and the south west - North Yorks, Dorset, Somerset, North Devon - have roads like this.

If you have the chance to meander and come across small hamlets and pubs - do it!!

The B roads of England are a national treasure - easily more interesting than Windsor Castle or Stonehenge.

I'm a big fan - can't you tell!!