Lisbon, Venice or Paris

Old May 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Lisbon, Venice or Paris

After we leave Rome in late September, my wive and I have three days before we have to cross the pond back to CA. Can't decide whether to fly to Lisbon, Venice or Paris for a 3-day visit. We like museums, good food and good wine. Any suggestions?
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Well... those are my three favorite cities. But since you're in Rome I'd take the train to Venice. You'll land right in the city and avoid airports and all that. In Venice there's the Guggenheim Museum, the Frari church, etc. etc. etc. Some people disagree , but every time we've been to Venice (Since '84) we've enjoyed a meal at Corte Sconta. (Half the fun is finding the restaurant.)
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Think about whether you want the vacation to specialize in Italy or whether you want a compare and contrast cultural experience. All three cities sound like a great way to spend three days at the end of your vacation.

I have taken a couple vacations which I split between cities in different countries, three days in one and five in another, and I really enjoyed that. But spending a whole vacation in Italy is good too.

Have you been to any of those cities before?
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM

Can you fly home from any of those cities with minimal # of connecting flights?

Note that most airlines depart Venice extremely early, often 6-7am. Delta has some flights later on (ours to Cincinnati connection leaves at 1:40).

Paris sounds like "museums, good food, good wine".
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM

Of those three, I'd say Lisbon-this is one fantastic city, and way inexpensive, compared to the others. There are castles, great shopping, elegant shops and cafes, great restaurants, interesting museums-day trips to Sintra and Cascais-Lisboa has got it all.
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts. I was in Lisbon for 2 days prior to a cruise 4 years ago, but my wife got sick on the plane and was holed up in the hotel the entire time in Lisbon. Never been to Paris or Venice before.