Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

xyz123 or other sim experts - Italy equivalent to Mobile World?

Old May 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

First thanks for your many informative posts on all things 'mobile'.

I will likely get a mobile world prepaid sim for the UK (to call Canada).I understand that I can pick up at a carphonewarehouse. I see online purchases show an 8 day wait until the card is activated - if I shop at the store will I face this wait?

is there any equivalent card that I can get in Venice - or any reasonably priced prepaid Italian Sim to call Canada.

thanks

Leonard
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM

My store-bought mobileworld SIM card was usable the same day I bought it. I think I had to wait a few hours (3, I think) before it was functional.

Can't help you with Italy.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:57 PM

If you purchase a mobileworld sim in a Carphone Warehouse store, it is activated within an hour or two...actually the word purchase is a misnomer. You don't pay for a Mobile World sim...you purchase airtime and the sim card is actually free.

Can't help you with Italy though.
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Google prepaid sim card italy and you'll get a lot of choices.

I just walked into a TIM store in Italy, bought and installed one and was up and running in a few minutes.
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM

I don't think the question concerns the difficulty of getting any prepaid sim in Italy, it is very true it is real easy as indicated.

What the OP is looking for is an Italian sim with rates as low as Mobile World and for the uninformed, Mobile World is a prepaid UK sim which comes with all the perks of any prepaid sim card in Europe, free reception of calls while in the country (in this case the UK), voice mail, caller id, but includes calls to the USA and Canada for the incredibly low rate of 5p/minute (although it's
7.5 p per minute between 1900 and 2100 on weekdays; still a bargain) and calls to other UK landlines and other networks is a very low and reasonable 15p/minute. There are a few comparable and perhaps better deals available in the UK but this deal is simplicity and cheap itself.
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Today, the EU Comission and the Parliament Presidency agreed on a compromise concerning roaming fees inside EU countries. The Parliament will vote tomorrow on the proposal. If agreed this will become effective two months from tomorrow:
Roaming fees may not exceed 49ct/minute for outgoing and 24ct/min for incoming calls. This means the maximum you'll ever have to pay for incoming calls using any EU country SIM anywhere in the EU will be 24ct/min.
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Hiya logos...

Just to clarify because many on this board are American who have difficulty with things like this...

That's 0,24€ (24 euro cents)...at current rates of exchange that's about $0.33 US...not bad but compared to the free roaming on such sims as GT-Sim (Isle of Man - UK), travelsim (Estonia), O9 (Iceland) and of course old reliable United Mobile (Liechtenstein) all of which have free reception of calls throughout most of Western, Central and Eastern Europe, it might not be such a great deal...

What the big variable is, at least for Americans (and I know the whole thing is clearly not to make life easier for Americans) is the cost of the call to wherever....calls to Estonia mobiles are expensive, calls to Liechtenstein mobiles have jumped up in the last couple of weeks, calls to UK (Isle of Man) mobiles are relatively inexpensive but still they have to be added on.

So for example, if I roam using my UK sim, a person calling me on the UK number would pay anything from 16 US (Voicestick) to 28 US which for the most part I pay plus the roaming charge above if I'm out of the UK...for me it's not necessarily cheaper than what I've been able to do up till now but it's certainly cheaper than the asininely high rip off rates charged by T Mobile US and Cingular for international roaming.

Perhaps this will put pressure on the US carriers to lower their ridiculous rates for roaming in Europe if one can find a one size fits all UK sim.

It will also mean, that with a European sim and an account say with bizon where you can dial a European number while roaming and pay the 0,49€ charge, you can do much better than T Mobile USA and Cingular.

But we shall see.

Also in this article, unfortunately, is the idea that things may not move fast enough to have these new rates effective until the end of the summer travel season.

In addition, the original plan was to have reception of calls at 0,15€ throughout the EU...too bad the telcoms in Europe were able to defeat that eh.

Old May 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM

We'll just have to wait and see. 24ct max doesn't mean that in the end rates can't be below that. Some German SIMs today already come with roaming tariffs as low as 9ct, but those are't the big companies but mostly E-Plus resellers.