Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Decisions, decisions! splitting time between Paris and Venice

Apr 9th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

I can't make up my mind! Should we stay in Paris for 4 nights and Venice for 3, or Paris for 5 and Venice for 2? I'm thinking there's way more to cover in Paris. Please give me your opinion on this. I have a feeling Paris is going to win the extra day.
Apr 9th, 2005, 10:23 AM

Here's an answer you probably didn't expect, pick either one and stay the entire 7 days.

The first day is usually a jet lag day AND you have the travel time between both cities unless you're taking and overnight train. Have a Great Trip!!! Mike

Apr 9th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

You're right! I wasn't expecting that answer, and as you guessed, will be taking the overnight train. Thanks for you input.
Apr 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM

I couldn't stand by and read your post without doing an intervention here...your original plan sounds fine! Don't take time away from Venice!!

You didn't say when you are planning on doing this trip. I've been to Paris in the summer, and in midsummer the sun seems to stay up past 10 p.m. there--this might give you extra time to see things. In any event, my first trip to Paris was for four nights, and it was a decent amount of time to introduce myself to that city. I'm afraid that if your Venice trip is just two nights, you'll be cramming your time with all the "must sees" and not giving yourselves the opportunity to simply get lost and see more of the "real" Venice.
Apr 9th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Im sorry if this might be a little confusing, but I have to differ from #3 here. After being to Paris several times, and twice to Venice - I would say 5 and 2. Basically, I do think you should stick to one. Enjoying one fully is better than feeling you have to leave when your half way through. Anyhow, if you insist- than 5 and 2. Paris has more to show than you can ever see in a full week. And it is a city that you must not rush but realy learn to adjust to its tune and enjoy its atmosphere. Seeing some parks, sitting at the bistros. And then there is so much more, plus excursions to Versailles (perhaps eurodisney?). Venice is charming and beuatiful, but you get the idea after two days. The sites can be done in a day or a day and a half and that leaves you time to stroll about the beuatiful alleys and take a gondola ride.
Apr 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM
ira

Hi B,

I agree with barb.

Either visit Venice 3 and Florence 4 or 7 days in Paris.