Blue Grotto worth it?

Search

Blue Grotto worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Grotto worth it?

I've heard a lot of negative reviews of the Blue Grotto on Capri, a tourist trap, have to sit on a rocking rowboat for a long time, a rip-off, have to listen to a bad singer, most likely won't see lovely translucent blue. Does anyone think it's worth the time and money to see it?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:35 PM
ira

Hi jo,

There are those who have found it not unattractive.

Keep in mind that the quality of your visit will depend upon the season, the week, the day, the time of day, who is operating your boat, the weather, your travelling companions and the state of your digestion.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:45 PM

No, in my opinion it's not worth it.
I'd rather spend the time ans money hiring a boat and exploring the coasts along the whole island.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:53 PM

I'm happy that I had the experience.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 05:50 PM

I'm glad we did it - but I wouldn't do it again. And dont wear white linen trousers like I did - the bottom of the row boat was awash in water.

(It would be tremendusly romantic if you were alone there with signifiant other - swimming, a little wine picnic on the side. But when it's 3 or 4 rowboats each with the driver(?) yodeling away the effect is lost.)
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 05:55 PM
P_M

Depending on the time of year, the decision of whether or not you will see the grotto could be made by the tides. I have been to Capri twice and I was never able to get in due to high tides. But given the opportunity, I would do it just to satisfy my curiosity.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad we did it but wouldn't do it again. The colour of the water was amazing but we were only in the grotto a few minutes. The whole thing, transferring from a large boat to the little dinghy then into the cave and out, was very quick. One thing which annoyed me was the man rowing the little dinghy demanded a tip from everyone. We also had no warning we were about to go under a low cliff wall to get into the cave and it could have been nasty as my husband is very tall. He had to lay down in a big hurry.
Kay
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 04:08 AM

We enjoyed it a lot, and we would do it again. Just watching the entire process of getting all us tourists out of the tour boats and into the rowboats, and then back onto the tour boats was fascinating.

The day we were there, the grotto was beautiful. Our oarsman was a real hoot--he'd been sipping some wine and he passed the bottle around. Pretty good stuff, too.

In the rowboat, Mrs. Fly was behind me, and a very pretty, young Scandinavian blond in front of me.

The entry to the grotto is very low, so everyone in the boat has to lie back when you go through--you end up with your upper body resting on the person behind you.

As I settled back and the young lady in front of me began to recline as well, Mrs. Fly gave me a good pinch on my neck to remind me of her presence.

Still, a pleasant experience.

Plus the tour boat ride out to the grotto is very scenic--I just love being on a boat speeding across the sea.

Well worth it--though I do have to admit that Mrs. Fly and I do seem to have an unusual knack to milk whatever enjoyment or interest there is from just about any experience. That might be because she's an artist and I'm a historian and anthropologist--some things that other folks don't even notice, we find fascinating.

Except for Florence--just don't like that city at all for some reason.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 08:02 AM

nytraveler, I agree with your opinion in (brackets). The effect is lost because you feel too much like a tourist, and if you explore the island coasts, you can find similar places by yourself...(obviously not as easy as paying a ticket and getting in a line ;-) )
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 08:18 AM

By the way, you don't have to take the boats from the harbor to the Blue Grotto. You can take a bus and you'll enjoy some amazing island views enroute. Then just walk down to where the rowboats wait.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 11:29 AM

I thought it was beautiful and I would do it again. I saw gorgeous shades of blue. I didn't realize that some days you won't see the shades of blue.

You do have to be patient to get in to see it as there are a lot of boats hovering around. You also need to tip everyone, but so what, it's a natural wonder IMHO.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 12:07 PM

We visited the Blue Grotto many years ago when I was a child, and I was enchanted. Went back to visit two summers ago with my son on my birthday.

This time, we went swimming in it though. You aren't supposed to, but as soon as the guys with the little boats leave (about 5pm) you can do it, nobody seems to try to stop you.

The steps go right down to the grotto entrance, you just hop into the water, swim over to the opening, hold onto the chain, and swim in. It was gorgeous inside.

The water and walls were an amazing blue, and the sand below reflects the light, so that your movements in the water create this amazing silver streak-like pattern behind your limbs.

We had some company at first, but they didn't stay long, so then we hung out by ourselves for about half an hour. Swam around and treaded water. There's nowhere to sit/get out of the water so you have to be able to swim/tread the entire time.

It's too bad they've commercialized it so much. It's a wonderful place for quiet reflection.