Decision 2007: to Venice or to Paris

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM
WAS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decision 2007: to Venice or to Paris

My wife and I are going to Europe for the first time beginning with a conference based in Monte Carlo...friends want us to go with them to Venice from there for 2 days via train, then fly RyanAir from Venice to Paris, leaving us 2 1/2 days in Paris...thoughts about the most fun way to get to Venice (driving is better?) or whether we should go directly to Paris and turn 2 1/2 days into 4 1/2?
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 08:12 PM

Wow, that's a toughie because Paris and Venice are two of my FAVE cities. However, others on the board correct me if I'm wrong, but one downside of flying RyanAir is that they limit your luggage. We had problems with this once flying from London to Scotland to Paris and got stuck with a steep fine. As far as the best way to get to Venice, I think it would be the train. I would be inclined to train to either Paris or Venice and spend more time in one place. Does your 2 1/2 days in each city include your travel time? Or will some of that time be spent in transit? I certainly can't blame you for wanting to make the most of your time and see BOTH places! SO tempting! Melissa
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM

Depends-- how soon can you go back again? 2 days in each place would be OK only if you'll return in the near future for a longer stay-- otherwise, it'd be like tasting an appetizer and being deprived of dinner!

Better to pick one or the other-- even 4 1/2 days would barely do justice to each of these amazing cities. What time of the year will this be? I ask because Venice is definitely more enjoyable off-season.

And do you plan on learning some French for the Monaco part of your trip? If so, combining Paris on the same itinerary would be nice.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:43 AM

Since I spend a lot of time in both these cities, I say you should do both, and get to each as quickly as possible, in order to experience as much as you can of these two cities in the time that you have.

And while in Paris, make reservations ahead of time at the rooftop "Les Ombres" restaurant at the Quai Branly museum for its tasting menu, but particularly to dine with that incomparable view of the Eiffel Tower and the Seine at night, which you feel you can practically reach out and touch, due to the glass walls and ceilings.

www.lesombres-restaurant.com/

As for Venice, depending on where you stay, and for a short visit you may want to stay down on the San Marco waterfront, I would suggest dining at "Taverna La Fenice" one night, which is right to the side of the most exquisitely beautiful opera house in the world "La Fenice" -if you can't see a performance here, then you will want to take a tour of it during the day, it's just stunning.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:36 AM
ira

Hi WAS,

>friends want us to go with them to Venice from there for 2 days via train, then fly RyanAir from Venice to Paris,..<

There is an overnight train leaving MC at 21:23, arr Venice San lucia at 07:36.

www.voyages-sncf.com is offering "Smart Price" for 170E 1cl for 2.

For Venice to Paris, I suggest flying www.myair.com.

They fly VCE to ORY.

Ryanair flies Treviso to Beauvais - much less convenient.