Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lisbon San Sebastian night train - final stop?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried looking for this in several places but have not found the answer - does the night train between Lisbon and San Sebastian terminate in SS? or does it go on from there? It arrives in SS at 6:30 in the morning so I am concerned about being ready to get off the train, esp. if it is a short stop. Will the conductor wake us up awhile ahead of time so we can get ready to de-train?
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:22 AM

"so I am concerned about being ready to get off the train, esp. if it is a short stop"

YES, YES, YES!
We took the exact same train from Lisbon and NOBODY told us where to get off, so we were half sleep all night until we got there at 6:30 am.

We were scrambling! literally throwing our suitcases from the train to be able to get off the train fast while the Inspector was whistling while it watched us.

You will have several stops in San Sebastian, make sure you get off in the correct one. You may be able to ask an Inspector what the new stop is, but we used our Itinerary to see what the next stop was and we asked others who were getting off if that was our stop and it was!
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:26 AM

"does the night train between Lisbon and San Sebastian terminate in SS?"

I forgot, the answer is NO. I can't remember if that train continues to France, so SS is a short stop.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Oh my - I wonder where we may end up if we do not make it off - maybe we will end up in Paris! Can another poster let us know where the termiation of this train is? But it does sound like many people were getting off in SS?
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Still looking for answer as to where this route terminates? Irun? Hendaye?
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:35 PM

I have not taken this train, but I always get anxious about my train stops. It is not where it terminates but what time you need to wake up that is the issue, no? Presuming this is the train that leaves Lisbon at 16:30 and arrives at SS at 6:36, I would set my mobile phone alarm to wake me about 6:30 to assemble my things. I found this: http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?v...c0RCRD&lang=en however, I do not know if that is the train that you are on.
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:57 PM

I believe that's the time table for that particular train. You can also check on Renfe.com

Remember that Portugal and Spain are on different time zones, so check your watch before going to sleep.

I would ask the Portuguese Inspector, who most likely will hold your ticket for the next Spanish Inspector who boards around midnight when you enter Spain, to tell the Spanish Inspector you are going to SS, he may be nice and let you know one station earlier.

I asked the Portuguese Inspector and he asked the Spanish one, but he forgot about us.
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

pooky - did they take your passport? did you eat onboard? and is the time earlier or later in Spain - thanks!!!
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Portugal is a five hour difference from the US eastern time zone , Spain is 6 hours, so 1 hour difference between the two.
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:18 PM

suec1 on May 9, 12 at 4:02pm

pooky - did they take your passport? did you eat onboard? and is the time earlier or later in Spain - thanks!!!

I don't remember him keeping my passport, but our tickets. I would double check there what the time difference is for their summer, but as happytrvlr says you lose one extra hour in Spain.