Lisbon or Porto?

Dec 19th, 2002, 05:04 PM
wrao

Lisbon or Porto?

In January, have a chance to visit either Porto or Lisbon for 3 days. Have never visited Portugal before. Would you recommend Lisbon or Porto?

Dec 19th, 2002, 05:13 PM
angel

Lisbon, without question. Plenty to keep you busy and entertained for 3 days! Neat day trips to beautiful Sintra and even the beaches of Cascais/Estoril. If you've never visited Portugal, Lisbon is the place to start.

Dec 19th, 2002, 11:13 PM
steve

I second Lisbon, since your travel is January. While the Algarve region in Southern Portugal is simply amazing, I would only go there in the summer time when you can enjoy the desolate beaches.

Dec 20th, 2002, 12:05 AM
Teresa

I second the above opinions. Porto's surroundings are beautiful, the North of Portugal is worth seing but not in January, it's very cold in the North. The 3 days in Lisv«bon will allow you to see it and take a day trip to Cascais( where I live) and Sintra. Don't miss Sintra.

Dec 20th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Sandra

Porto is a gorgeous city, I have been to both Porto and Lisbon several times and somehow I find Porto has more charm and energy. Food is amazing in any of the two cities (as in all of Portugal). Yet I must agree with the previous posters--Porto in winter is not the best choice, damp and cold. For that alone, I'd choose Lisbon in January, and then take some road trips South to Cascais/Estoril/Faro.

Either city you chose, you cannot go wrong, but if I were to only chose one, I'd choose Porto (in warmer weather, though).

Enjoy, wherever you go. Portugal is a gorgeous country full of colorful customs, beautiful people, haunting music (the "Fado") and delicious wines/cuisine.

Sandra

Dec 20th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Davidx

What a terrible choice to have to make but certainly the time of year answers it in Lisbon's favour. If you like to e-mail me i will send you some notes and URLs.

Dec 20th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Ruby

I agree that Lisbon is the best choice for a first time visitor in January, but Porto is one of the most underrated cities in Europe.

Dec 24th, 2002, 06:31 AM
WWW.TOURIST-IN-PORTUGAL.WEB.PT

Lisbon. The weather in Lisbon is much better than in rainy Porto, and in January rains a lot in Porto.
Have fun

Search this Thread