Search

lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lisbon

does anyone know area the bus station is located and if there are hotels in that area walkable to bus station. we have 1 day in Lisbon and my husband wants to take local bus to Fatima. this will be in November. I want to spend day in Lisbon while he is doing his thing and easy to meet back at hotel that is easy access to both of us.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Hi duchess,

The main bus station is located at a place called Sete Rios, which is adjacent to the Jardim Zoologico (Zoo) metro stop. There are hotels within a 10 minute walk of the station, there's a Mercure, a Novotel, and a few more. They line a newly constructed elevated street, but there is absolutely nothing on that street that would even give you a clue that you are in Portugal, it's all drab, modern high rises. But if you're a sushi fan, the best sushi restaurant in Lisbon is on that street, called Aya.

If your husband doesn't mind a short metro ride before getting to the bus station, you could stay downtown (near the Avda. Liberdade, Praca dos Restauradores, Baixa -- there are tons of hotels in these areas). You would get a much better sense of Lisbon, have nice surroundings and good restaurants nearby, and your husband would only have a 10 minute metro ride.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM

And while he is off to Fatima, you would walk literally everywhere.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

thank you ireynold and sher, very good information and i was looking at the hotels on avde Liberdade.

duchess
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 04:36 AM

I don't know what your budget is, but the Hotel Britania is a beautiful hotel just off Av. da Liberdade. It's worth the splurge.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 05:11 AM

I was about to tell you that make sure it had air conditioning and then I noticed you said November and there will not be a problem.
You may want to take your umbrella.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM

I would second GoAway's suggestion. Hotel Britania is part of a larger hotel group, Heritage Hotels, and they have some very nice properties. http://www.heritage.pt/ We've had friends stay in most of them. Though I've never stayed in any, I have been inside and they are all very nice.

The Britania, Liberdade, and Lisboa Plaza are all near
Av. Liberdade in a great location. Solar do Castelo is up near the castle, and Janelas Verdes is kind of out of the way, but in a nice neighborhood, near the Arte Antiga museum and near all the embassies and ambassadorial residences in Lapa.

I would think prices might be lower than normal in November.

Who knows about the weather these days, but last year there was a TON of rain. It started raining about November 15 and stopped at the end of February. In 2004-05, I lived in Lisbon too and we had about three days of rain in that same period. Lisboetas take their umbrellas seriously. I bought a beautiful sturdy big umbrella and it is one of my favorite Portugal purchases.