COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Neighbourhood for longer stay in Lisbon?

Old Nov 15th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Neighbourhood for longer stay in Lisbon?

If you were going to spend 2-3 weeks in Lisbon, just soaking up the culture and enjoying the cafes, restaurants, bars, parks, etc., what would be some good neighbourhoods? Don't mind walking up and down somewhat, although we wouldn't want an apartment at the very top of a hill, unless it was near the Metro.

I remember walking along Dom Pedro V past the Botanical Gardens, and Science Museum, past the nice park with the farmer's market (Praca do Principe Real?) and then on down to the amazing Church of Sao Roque and thinking that neighbours like this would be fun to live in for a few weeks. I'm sure there are lots of them. Doesn't have to be terribly central to tourist things, as long as it's interesting of itself, and well-connected.

Any suggestions? This is just one of many ideas for a trip next fall--this would be one of the laid-back options. Of course, we'd do side trips.
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 08:18 PM

I think any recommendation would depend on your budget, which, under most conditions, will dictate the neighborhood.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 02:06 AM

The Principe Real area would be perfect! It is residential yet very vibrant. Just a short walk to the Rato metro station, and downtown is easily walkable as well.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 04:16 AM

we really liked the Chiado district.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 05:28 AM

We found Barrio alto great for access to restuaraunts and bars and close enough to metro and train station.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

I like Bairro Alto and Chiado too, but a bit too "happening" perhaps, for us. And hilly. I'll have a look at Principe Real--oh, it's close to the Jardim Botanico I see, so I must have walked through it. Yes, would be great I think.

Budget is not a huge issue--we're not backpackers, we're senior citizens. Something reasonable, and convenient, close to some sort of transit. I'm thinking an elevator would be nice--that's probably difficult in apartments I'm thinking.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 07:50 AM

I stayed next to. the beautiful park Eduardo VII....find the area rather upscale , outside
the touristy crowds but only a few metro stops to Chado.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 08:32 AM

Baixa (flat area between castle hill, Bairro Alto, Rossio and the river). Metro stations of Baixa-Chiado and Rossio. Rossio railways station (to/from Sintra), trams 28 (Lisbon roller coaster) and 15 (Belém). Easy access to ferries, Alfama and Castle.
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Where would you take a ferry to?
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 03:01 AM

Cacilhas on the left bank (google and whatch "Antony Bourdain in Lisbon", dated but nice). It's a working class environment with no special interest from tourism point of view (unless you want to go the big statue of Christ) but some river side restaurants offering fresh fish. The main advantage of the trip is the trip itself. If you are a photo enthusiast, the trip offers great views of the city and the (emperor Norton's like) bridge.