Notices

Lippanzaner horses of Austria

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lippanzaner horses of Austria

Should we take our 4 small children to see these horses while in Salzburg this September?
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will they be in Salzburg? Or are you planning a visit to Vienna?
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you. we will have a rental car and travel around.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a web site with more information about the Spanish Riding School in Vienna:

http://www.viennaticketoffice.com/detail_en.php?ID=77

I think a day trip to Vienna from Salzburg sounds too hectic.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know anything about driving distances, but I went to see the Lippanzaner horses when I was young and like many little girls, totally in love with horses. I LOVED the Lippanzaners! So, all other things being equal, I would go.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about little girls, I went to see them when I was 40 and loved it!!
From memory, we picked up tickets outside the Palace on the day or the day before but not sure if this is the norm. If you were driving from Salzburg I'm sure you would want to plan ahead. No cameras allowed, or no flashes anyway.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not an answer, but did you know the horses apparently get the summer off? We stumbled upon them in our visit there last May (forget the town's name--would have to look it up) in a village near Roschitz, perhaps 70 miles NW of Wien. There were perhaps 8-10 horses, and we could pet them.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We saw them in Vienna a few years ago - had GREAT ($$) seats right on the arena floor.

My husband and I loved them, but my 2 boys (ages 10 and 12 at the time) didn't really see what the big deal was. My husband and I remembered seeing the horses perform on various TV specials when we were growing up, but my boys (who have no real love of horses) just didn't get it! So, we put that experience in the "you'll appreciate it when you're older" category!

So, my suggestion is......try to find a video of a performance and see if your children are intrigued. If they watch the video, then they might "recognize" some of the tricks (not the right word, but all I can think of right now) when they see the performance in person.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For more information on the horses

the website of the Spanish Riding School

www.srs.at

in english also

This will provide information on activities in September.

in summer many horese go to the farm at Piber ( information on above website)
and to Heldenberg- northwest of Vienna.

At Heldenberg tours are given several times daily Tuesday- Sunday
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We vacationed in the Piber area for a few years and used to watch the Lippizaners in the afternoons. It was much more informal and relaxing than the formal show and in that way more suited to small children. (Plus when we were there, there were no crowds around, you can get "up close and personal" with the horses, including the younger horses, which are not the white/pale grey color of the mature horses...they turn that color as they mature. There are nice hikes in the mountains right near the farm. After having seen the Riding School show in Vienna, I'm so glad we saw them in their more natural environment in the countryside instead.)
It's a beautiful part of the countryside and much less touristy than the Salzburg area. It's not a day trip option, IMO, though, you'd have to stay in the area...which isn't a bad thing.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
MaureenB

I'm an adult horse-lover and I've seen the Lippizzaners perform in the states and also in Vienna. I loved them every time, but I did observe a few people in the audience were bored, maybe expecting the performance to be more dramatic than it is. It's really more elegant and sedate dressage, with a few leaps. I doubt if the small children would enjoy it enough to justify the rather expensive tickets. And they'd need to sit quietly throughout.
They do have a 'morning exercise with music' which is less expensive and less formal, but they don't ordinarily execute the leaps. So I doubt if that would interest the little ones, either. You can tour the stables, maybe more interesting to the children. Be sure to check the website to see where the horses are in September. They are only in Vienna during certain months. Maybe more fun to visit Piber if there are horses outside in September.