Search

Lindau?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lindau?

I'm visiting Germany in late July. However, due to cheaper airfare and some weird Lufthansa Miles & More rules regarding using my reward miles I've had to book flights direct to Zurich from Boston on Swissair.

On the day we arrive I plan on taking the train from Zurich into Germany with the ultimate destination being Bamberg. I'm not going to try and get to Bamberg all in one day. Out of the question after a 7 hour flight. So I was wondering what my fellow travellers on this forum think of Lindau as a first stop? It looks like a short trip from Zurich and a potentially good spot for some R&R before heading off to Bamberg. So what do you all think? Any alternate recommendations and/or Lindau accomodation recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM

We enjoyed Lindau. It's a lovely little place with a nice lake promenade. We've also been to Meersburg and Uberlingen on Bodensee and enjoyed them too. However, I'm not sure about their train access.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM

Lindau makes great sense considering your vacation plans.

You can catch the train to Lindau directly from the airport - 09:28 that arrives in Lindau, non-stop, at 11:05. Same thing at 13:30.

Meersburg is my favourite spot on the Bodensee, but it is a little more difficult to get into and out of. You would need to take a bus.

Lindau to Bamberg is about 5 hrs with one change and Zurich to Bamberg is about 7, also with one change.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM

LOVED Lindau!!

We stayed at Hotel Eiscafe Schreier am See a small family hotel. Very warm and friendly staff. Extremely clean and right on the promenade. If the hotel interests you, check out Trip Advisor for reviews - all good. Ask for the Vanilla Room - it's their largest and has the largest patio overlooking the promenade and harbor.

Link to hotel reviews (this is a tiny URL):

http://tinyurl.com/yjll6m3

Lydia
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:37 PM

By all means stay in Lindau. In fact, give yourself a day there. It's a lovely old town, on an island. The train crosses a causeway and the station is right at the harbor and within easy walking distance of a whole row of hotels, overlooking the lovely harbor.

For a half-day trip, take a R/T boat tripto Bregenz (Austria), then take the cable car to the top of the Pfaender mountain. From there you have great views of the lake, the Swiss, Austrian and German alps. There is a decent cafeteria at the mountain top.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. It looks like Lindau as a first stop is a good plan.

Mark
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

... and I just booked at the Hotel Eiscafe Schreier. The folks seem very friendly via email. I'm looking forward to it.

Mark
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM

Ditto to those saying Lindau is Wunderbar - sticks out into Lake Constance (Bodensee) - colorful Baroque old town center. One of nicest German towns i've ever been to.