Lake Constance - Where to stay?

Old May 21st, 2015, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Constance - Where to stay?

I am intending to spend 4 nights at Lake Constance in mid-September. I have been looking at both Meersburg and Lindau for our accommodation. Both places seem to have a fairly good range of accommodation and I would like your advice on whether you think one is better located than the other.

I have noticed when looking at accommodation at Meersburg a number of posts regarding particular hotels being a fairly steep walk up a hill. Is this true of most of Meersburg - that it is hilly? As I have quite bad arthritis in my knees I find a hills a challenge.

We will have a car which will obviously need parking, but it isn't our intention to really use it during the 4 days here but to get around by the ferry as much as possible. Specific recommendations on hotels also wouldn't go amiss in the 3-4 star range especially if they have a good view.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 21st, 2015, 03:26 PM

don't know nothing about Meersburg but Lindau IME is a real gem - on a peninsula jutting right out into Lake Constance -a neat old town with excellent train links - short train ride to Constanz.

I loved Lindau.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:30 PM

We stayed at the Seegarten in Lindau with a room facing the water, not cheap but wonderful!
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:46 PM

We have stayed in Lindau, Meersburg and Uberlingen and enjoyed all three. However, we have returned to Meersburg a couple of times to stay at the Gasthof Baeren. They also have their own parking garage by the hotel. If it helps, there is a bus that you can take from the hotel down to the lake and back.

Lindau is beautiful as well. The only issue we had was the horrific traffic jams that you will incur trying to get there since there is only one way in and out.

We were surprised by the lovely Uberlingen. It has a very long promenade with lots of sidewalk cafes and restaurants as well as some charming architecture in the old part of the town itself.
Old May 21st, 2015, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also interested in this, but I will not have a car and have been looking at Konstanz.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:35 AM

I would pick my base depending on what I want to see - the lake is quite large, and there are so many things to do there that you cannot see it all.

Lindau is on the far east end of the lake, not really convenient for excursions IMO. It's a good base for an excursion into the mountains, though (Pfänder above Bregenz/Vorarlberg in Austria; or even Mt. Säntis in Switzerland.) It's flat, a beautiful old town on the island, with Bad Schachen on the mainland which has beautiful parks along the lake.

Meersburg *is* hilly, partially with steep ascents. Picturesque. No train station, you always have to use the bus or ferry first to get around.

Most centrally IMO is Konstanz. Have stayed there four nights a couple of years ago and loved it. Beautiful, vibrant old town with lots of sights. Very good base for excursions with ferry or trains, or even bicycle.

Überlingen is also very beautiful (old town, lake promenade), on the northwestern end of the lake. Excursions to Meersburg, Birnau, Salem, Mainau are easily doable, but for others it's a bit more complicated.

I.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:10 AM

Meersburg has the section next to the lake and the old town with the castle that is up a the hill.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:03 AM

Lindau!
Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:58 AM

We enjoyed our time in Lindau at the Seegarten--twice. Relaxing and very beautiful.
Old May 27th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all those who responded. After considering all the advice and doing a bit more research, I've decided to stay in Konstanz which, yes, I didn't even include originally.

I think Lindau might be a bit limiting in terms of getting around the lake and we will already have spent two nights about half hour east of Lindau so seen that area. For Meersburg I'm concerned that with my bad knees it might be too hilly for me.

If anyone has recommendations on where to stay at Konstanz please feel free to make suggestions. Likewise, if you know somewhere we should visit which isn't on the "usual" tourist haunts please let me know. I've already taken note of Uberlingen.
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:27 AM

BTW, do check your dates! I had finally found a room in Konstanz (even the Ibis was full) and then thought to check the tourist board's website to see if there was a festival of some kind. Turned out that Oktoberfest was starting the day I would arrive - bands, fireworks, beer tents, noisy crowds etc. etc. I canceled my reservation and booked for Zurich instead... (Of course, that may be something you'd enjoy, me, not so much. I was thinking peaceful scenery.)

I had wanted to stay at the Barbarossa, but don't know your price range.

http://www.oktoberfest-konstanz.com/...tart/index.php
Old May 27th, 2015, 07:35 AM

Yup, knowing a price range would be nice.
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:31 AM

Do try to visit the island of Mainau with its amazing gardens. It is unbelievably lovely. In September, the dahlias should be blooming. They have over 250 different varieties.

http://www.mainau.de/home.html
Old May 27th, 2015, 12:15 PM

They have introduced an Oktoberfest in Konstanz? Scary thought.

I don't think you will notice much of that in the city. It is just another fun fair in the fairground, an imported pseudo-Bavarian thing. A place where the locals, mostly youths, will go for drinking and rides. Konstanz is not in Bavaria. This has no tradition and is not likely to attract visitors from far away, i.e. people who need hotel rooms. Konstanz's own really big local festival is the Seenachtfest which takes place in August. THAT should be avoided if you don't like crowds.
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:27 PM

Well, it's attracting enough of a crowd that it is hard to find a hotel room.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tip off regarding the Octoberfest. We will be there during that period so I had better get cracking in terms of making a reservation.

In terms of price I would be looking for something around the $300 mark. The Steigenberger Inselhotel looks great but is a bit pricey for a lake room. We could do a garden room but I'll keep looking for a bit for something else with a lake view.