Like this Paris apartment

Sep 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Like this Paris apartment

We are looking for an apartment in Paris, and I found this one. http://www.vrbo.com/339804

I haven't looked much, but this is a good price. Anyone know if the location is good?
Thanks!
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:51 AM

I guess it depends what good means to you. It is very central, it is directly behind BHV dept store (probably on rue de la Verrerrie) which is certainly centrally located and convenient to buses and a metro stop (hotel de ville). I guess you would call that area the Marais, a lot of folks try to stay around there and it must be just off rue de Temple.

It's not to my taste, but a lot of folks would like it. I just don't like the Right Bank that much, but the areas I do like are not right in that very congested central area which has so much business, I prefer somewhat less hectic areas. I don't like the Marais, either, but a lot of people do, that's for sure. But I'm not a first-time tourist, which I am guessing you are. There is nothing inherently wrong with it, it would be convenient. I assume it's just a place to crash more or less, you don't intend to do major cooking, etc., as that area isn't exactly full of supermarkets. There is one somewhere, of course, there are all over Paris. I know there is one near St Paul metro, if not closer.

I'm sure you noted the 4th floor walkup and the "extra firm" bed. Which probably means no box springs and a lot of cheap beds are as hard as concrete to begin with in France, I have observed. But maybe you like that, also.
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM

This is a totally personal reply. The price is absolutely fantastic (even with the small extra cost if more than two people) and pix look lovely. Reviews, as you saw, are excellent (although my son just had a terrible experience in a VRBO place with rave reviews , so i've become much more skeptical of them).
I dont care for that area of Paris to stay in, but that's just me, and it is a good location for seeing Paris.
Also, i would not want a fifth floor walk up. That's a lot of stairs.
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:54 AM

If something sounds and looks to good to be true it usually is

Not legal for individuals to rent directly to you there is a 2005 law that restricts owners from renting at their properties for periods of less than one year.Most are tax cheats lots of scams on Craigslist VRBO etc.Have a look over on the asia forum for a lady who was scammed out of thousands on VRBO.

parisbestlodge.com reputable agents many other good ones.

Never wire money always pay with CC/Paypal.

Personally just booked a 4 star Novotel Les Halles

112 euro/nt on hotwire.com it is there secret Louvre Hotel

might do something like that www.hotel-collegedefrance.com

is good also in the Latin Quarter from personal experience.

Marais my fav location for apartments.

Be careful and happy hunting!
Sep 17th, 2011, 10:55 AM

The location is very good. Are you prepared to walk up four flights of stairs every day?
Sep 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM

Actually I am a right bank convert. Have stayed on the left for over 40 years yearly or twice yearly, but last year found an apt I really liked in the Maiars. Yes thae area is busy but that just adds to the pleasure.There are numerous shops. Our apt that we have rented twice and will again is almost across from The St Paul Metro.And ther is a supermarket across the street but there is also a verger, a fromagerie and a buthcher and several Boulangeries and Patisseries as well as cafes and a laundramat. Our apt hass a washer/dryer but Europeasn w/D are more trouble than they are worth.Best part there are about 6 bus lines right outside our door so we can get where we want to be quickly . ANd ther is a great twice weekly street market just a few blocks away. I did not look at the price of your apt. I'll comma=ent on that later
Sep 17th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Funny it list 3 bedrooms but then only 1 double bed and a sofa bed.!
Sep 17th, 2011, 11:30 AM

Avalon, i think it is a language thing. Also, a bathTUBE.Or maybe it's jus a typo, which some of us are prone to

Soeaking of which, i dont like those bathtue)s where you have to sit in the tub to use the hand held thing, and it looks like that what this flat has. I don't see one of those French half-length spray protectors in the web site photo.
Sep 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
cw

This apartment was discussed here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...hese-units.cfm

But I don't know if DebitNM ever stayed there. Someone does mention that there is no shower.

They say it's a 3-bedroom but I think it's actually only one bedroom--but it's not clear where the 5th person could sleep--two in the bedroom, two on the convertible couch, is all I can tell. It isn't that large a place for 5 people but that may not be an issue for you.
Sep 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM

It is only one bedroom. This becomes clear if you read the reviews. The bedroom is very small and it looks as though the bed is pushed against the wall which would mean having to clamber in and out for the person sleeping on the wall side.

The stairs would put me off. Not that I can't climb stairs but the thought of all those stairs at the end of a long day doesn't appeal at all.
Sep 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. We are two friends taking our 14 year old daughters to Italy and ending in Paris for 3 nights. The problem I'm experiencing is that not many want to rent for only 3 nights. Our budget is rather low also, trying to stay around $200 US.
Avalon, which apartment do you rent?
Sep 17th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Check Vacation in Paris. Nearly all their many apts let you rent for three nights. There is surcharge of about $100 to do so, but nevertheless, still ends up costing less than a hotel room that is big enough for all 4 of you (or renting two hotel rooms). Their prices ae in USD.

Check the one bedroom apts on their site, as they will cost less, but often have double or larger size have sofa beds in the living rooms.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/infop/one_br.htm

(There's alos one for 2 bedrooms)

Easy to use, and will tell you the # of people who can sleep in the flat.

Found this while browsing for myself and two kids: VRBO 250303. which will rent to you for three days.two bedrooms GREAT location nr Eiffel Tower. Don't knw anythng about it personally, but owner did email back promptly and it gets great reviews, assuming they are legit (I've grown skeptical after recent bad VRBO experience in Hawaii)
Sep 18th, 2011, 09:15 AM

If you are there only 3 nights, I think the VRBO place would be fine. You won't have many options, and you aren't going to be doing anything much there, anyway, so the fact that this isn't as a big a residential area or isn't near supermarkets (I think, not sure, that St Paul metro is not that close, I wouldn't want to shlep groceries from there, I just mentioned as it was the only one I know). The Hotel de Ville and BHV blocks isn't exactly where you find food supermarkets.

HOwever, I think the 3 BR remarks is a language problem, but not French. The owner is Japanese and probably doesn't know French or English fluently. As the word for bedroom in French (chambre typically) could be translated loosely as just room in some cases, but isn't usually when discussing apartments or houses, salle is the word for just room. However, it appears there is a French husband around, so I don't know what the excuse is. In French, you would not claims there were 3 chambres (bedrooms) if you really meant only 3 total rooms, including a living room (salle a sejour) and kitchen (cuisine) and bathroom. IN fact, on French rental websites, you can search by number of "chambres" and it always means bedroom, not total rooms.

I don't think that apt is big enough for 5 people as they advertise. The sole bedroom is barely larger than the bed. This would be okay for 2 people. Anyway, grown adults who are just friends aren't going to want to sleep together in that small bed (I would presume, depends on the relationship, of course).