lightweight winter shoes

Search

lightweight winter shoes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightweight winter shoes

Although we usually travel in summer with only one pair of shoes so we can just use a carry-on, my husband is dreaming of winter snow in Europe, not to "do" anything, just to be in it. We are older and despite wheels, luggage is heavy, especially if you have to lift it because the snow is too much of an obstacle. Can anyone recommend water-proof (not just resistant; there might be puddles) that are lightweight, for both men and women. Any other tips for taking warm clothing that isn't bulky?
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Can't help you with the shoes (I just wear sneakers), but as far as keeping warm I suggest a fleece-lined water-proof jacket with a hood. Mine is black and can be worn with everything and in all types of weather. This way I avoid bulky sweaters, which could take up an entire suitcase themselves. Another good idea is to buy long sleeve silk undershirts. I learned from my uncle, who does a lot of winter time hunting, that silk worn directly over the skin really holds in the body heat, and again is far less bulky than sweaters and does a better job of keeping the wind out.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM

You might check out the Keen line. Originally designed as boat shoes for both men and women, they are waterproof, leather lined, and come in many styles ranging from sandals to snow boots. I always wear them on holiday because the support is so good; I actually wear them any time I have to walk. http://www.zappos.com has the complete line.

I second the silk underwear. The cheapest I've found is at http://www.thaisilks.com (one of my fabric resources that happens to have shirts and pants). For sweaters, 100% cashmere is the warmest and not bulky (lands end, ll bean and so on have good quality and decent prices). Wear wool socks.

Have fun in the snow.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:03 AM

LL Bean has a number of Gore-tex lined waterproof shoes in casual and semi-dress styles.

Snow or not, you will certainly have rain. It is harder for men to carry a second pair of shoes to let the first dry out, especially if they wear size 14 like me, but it would be nice. Sandals or slippers to wear around the room so the shoes have a chance to dry a bit.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:05 AM

Sorry, I meant to add that I would not myself wear a fleece lined jacket but multiple layers. The outside should be water proof, then you can have a fleece or a wool jacket or sweater and on and on. This allows infinite adjustment for varying conditions.

Silk underwear is a good idea, especially bottoms for men since they allow you to wear lighter trousers.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Land's End mail order catalog had quite an assortment of shoes and boots like what you're seeking.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM

In March 2006, I did a winter tour of Switzerland with a 21" wheeled carry-on and a smaller carry-on which sat on top. Actually, winter will probably not be as wet as spring or fall. I encountered light fluffy snow, rather than much wetness.

Shoes: I wore a pair of Land's End all-weather mocs at $29.50. These come in both men's and women's sizes. I always take a second pair of shoes. My choice is a pair of Ecco's that are extremely comfortable for me for walking.

Outerwear: I take an LLBean goretex rainjacket and a polartec zip-front jacket. Worn together, these two items can keep you comfy down to about 10 degrees F. The jacket doubles as a rainjacket and windbreaker. The polartec is warm when you don't need rain or windbreaker properties. Chose colors that work for you. I have black polartec gloves and a black polartec scarf.

Tops: I take two cashmere turtlenecks. They are very warm and light-weight. I also take a set of silk long underwear. In addition to the turtlenecks, I take another two turtlenecks (not wool) and two long-sleeved but slightly dressy t-shirts.

Bottoms: one pair of khakis, one pair of black slacks and one pair of tencel jeans.

Accessories: two silk scarves and an interesting necklace. My black turtleneck and black slacks look dressy enough for the opera.

Caveat: If you are riding in a panorama car on a train, do not dress too warmly. They get quite warm. Also, if the sun is out, it can get quite warm.

Wear your jacket and polartec on your flight and store above your seat. Those pockets are good for heavy stuff that might weigh down your carry-on.

I love traveling in the winter. Fares are less, hotels are often less except at ski resorts and things are so crowded. You get to experience life as it is lived.

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM

My cold-weather "Europe" shoes are black suede (waterproof) Merrells that slip on. Heavy soles for my bad feet, room for heavy socks, no slipping, they weigh nothing and I can walk for hours!

They look like the Jungle Moc on this page, but were a bit more expensive a few years ago, but this will give you a good idea of what they have:

http://www.shoes.com/cat_e.asp?N=4294965950&No=90