Men - Need Your Help with Shoes!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help!! My husband and I are arguing about how many pairs of shoes he'll need to bring for 3 weeks in Europe (Switzerland, Paris and Provence)

My thought process is he'll need two pairs - no more. Bring a light brown/dark brown pair of lace-up shoes that are comfortable enough to walk in (and do some light hiking in while in Switzerland), but yet you could still wear them to a nice restaurant with khakis, and then a pair of walking sandals for the days he's wearing shorts and we're investigating the small towns of Provence. No need to bring a pair of Nikes (which is what he wears around here when running weekend errands, etc.). He thinks he needs to bring *at least* 3 pairs - the above-mentioned three types, PLUS a dressy pair of brown shoes that you would wear out to dinner.

Would something like this be appropriate to wear into, let's see, L'Atelier Joel Robuchon, or Les Ombres?? (I don't have reservations at either yet but am hoping to!) If he needs something fancier please let me know.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/15834597/c/6.html

There are sooo many threads when it comes to women's shoes and what walking shoe to buy, but not so many for men. We could really use your help.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Hi jenblase,
My husband doesn't carry an extra pair of shoes, and we don't travel in warm weather, so he doesn't wear shorts. He wears a pair of dark brown lace up ECCO shoes, and that's it. He wears them with khaki pants for just about everything. Then again, we don't go to restaurants like L'Atelier Joel Robuchon, or Les Ombres. I would call our style of dress "dress casual." I wear walking shoes as often as I can, and if I simply must dress up a bit, I carry a pair of flats. My husband wears a lightweight outer jacket that doubles as a dinner jacket.

Sandy

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sandy - Thanks.

The only reason we are even considering going to restaurants such as Joel Robuchon is because it's our honeymoon. Once in a lifetime, ya know.

Can you tell me more about the lightweight outer jacket that doubles as a blazer? Sounds interesting. Where'd you get it?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM

jenblase,

Unless you are going to stay on paved walking paths in Switzerland, he is probably going to want to wear his Nikes rather than the brown leather street shoes. The hiking paths can be rocky and/or muddy. So that would make a total of 3 pairs----the Nikes, the waling sandals, and the dress shoes for dinner.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:36 PM

For Switzerland, I take my hiking boots. Some of those mountain trails, even the Wanderwegs, are easier to traverse with lug soles. The Bergwegs just about demand sturdy footgear.

For air travel, I wear SAS shoes which are very comfortable. One year, however, I had to go to a formal party. So I had a pair of freshly shined shoes for that event. That is the only time I have taken an extra pair of street shoes with me.

Snow has been light this year in Switzerland, but in previous years I have walked across snowfields even in August. By then they were really packed and some patches were much more ice than snow. I really needed lug soles and I took the rubber tips off my hiking poles so the end would penetrate the hardpack.

Usually I like to keep the tips and the snow baskets on, but not on hardpan.

I had to cross one field from high to low. Even with maximum effort my pole tips would not penetrate deeply enough. I kept slipping down, so I just slid about 50 meters down the slope. Easier than falling down, getting up, falling down. I really needed crampons and and ice axe, which I did not have.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM
MKE

I used to travel with two pairs of shoes, but no more. I only took one pair on a two week trip to Germany last Fall. I was greatful not to have the extra weigth. I found a pair of brown leather Dunhams which are comfortable, sturdy and waterproof.

Your husband will stand out if he wears his Nikes (especially white Nikes). Also, I found very few European men wearing shorts. And keep in mind that you will be traipsing over cobblestones in many places and a good pair of walking shoes will provide more support than sandals. A twisted ankle is a sure-fire way to spoil a vacation.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM

I was suggesting the Nikes for hiking---he's not going to "stand out" in them in the mountains of Switzerland. But Bob_Brown is right---hiking boots are the best choice. In May, it could well be snowy as well as muddy.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 09:11 PM

I take two pairs of shoes to Europe -- black ECCO shoes with laces (from Nordstrom), and brown New Balance #745 walking/hiking shoes (from REI). Both are so comfortable.

I've worn the ECCO shoes to the Opera Garnier in Paris, and the New Balance on the rough cobblestones at Pompeii. Perfect!

Woody
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 09:24 PM
nbujic

we have the same dilemma only we are down to one pair - on his feet. ( carry on luggage only)
So no sandals , no running shoes, (no shorts )just a pair similar to the one in your picture
I get to take one pair in the carry on - a woman's prerogative.

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:34 PM

If they all go in his suitcase why do you care? Blimey, I can't imagine wanting to dictate to my other half how many shoes he is 'allowed' to bring on a trip. Talk about control-freak.

Anyway, for May, he'll want something warmer and good for walking in, sandals might be a bit chilly some days (what if it's raining?) and lace-up leather shoes aren't really good for exploring on foot.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:56 AM

For 3 weeks two pairs of shoes is far from adequate. He'll want a sports shoe for daytime so it's comfortable to do quite a bit of walking i.e. a shoe with a rubber as opposed to leather sole. I'd imagine trainers would be useful if you are in the middle of nowhere and just doing walking, or if he wants to go to the hotel gym etc.

As for dressier shoes, you never wear brown shoes in the evening. Brown is for daytime if you must, perhaps a proper pair with jeans or something casual like that. For dinner you will want some black shoes, not sports shoes, not trainers, but shoes! So he is right in wanting at least three pairs, and if it were me I'd wear one on my feet and pack four or five.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:42 AM

jen - Rockport put out shoes very similar to the ones in your link, only a little more dressy. They come is full & half sizes, wxtra narrow and extra wide. They call them "walking shoes" but they easily pass for dress. I take two pairs - one black and one brown, both leather.

I like the idea of being able to wear a pair one day and then switching to the other pair the next. If you are doing a lot of walking I feel this is important.

Most suitcases have an outside pocket and that is where my extra pair goes. Weight is the only issue.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:09 AM

Jen, to be blunt: I do not think that those shoes are appropriate for the restaurants you mentioned.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:11 AM

I also wear black Ecco's everywhere - at home and abroad. They are perfect for hiking in the woods, at the opera, and everything in between. I never pack a second pair. VERY comfortable for endless walking - highly recommended.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:16 AM

Here on this forum is a current thread "What screams tourist?"

Here my answer: Wearing Zappos and Eccos and Nikes in restaurants.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:13 AM
ira

Hi J,

I bring 2 pair - 1 to wear and 1 to air.

Why does he have to wear sandals if he's wearing shorts?

Why does he have to wear lace-ups if he's not wearing shorts?

Let him bring as many pairs as he wants, as long as he carries the suitcase.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Hi jenblase.
I think he should bring the same number of shoes as you do.

Muck
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:01 AM

nytraveller,

http://tinyurl.com/2y7e9n

Screams tourist?!?! Huh!?!?
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so... after reading everyone's responses, it sounds like he should bring FOUR pairs.
* Brown New Balance or Rockports to wear with khakis
* Leather sandals for more casual walking days
* Nikes for hikes or more intensive walking
* Dressier black shoes for fancier meals.

See the dilemma??

And I am far from a *control freak* - I just want him to be able to be comfortable and not regretting he brought so much stuff. He's never been to Europe and never been on vacation this long. HE is the one worried about how much luggage he needs to bring, not me. He doesn't think he can get by with one 24-26" and a backpack as a carry on for the plane. Yet he wants to only be rolling one thing because he has back problems and won't be able to handle one rolling back in each hand (not to mention that this is crazy impossible anyway). So, in order to pare down on the luggage, I told him only bring two pairs of shoes. I'm just trying to find the best kinds of shoes for him to do that.

He won't wear black shoes; he never has. Oh wait, I guess to weddings and funerals. But if he's going to a nice restaurant he wears his brown dress shoes with khakis.

What I was looking by posting this is for specific recommendations for pairs of shoes that male Fodorites bring. I would like to have some options to present to him as we will both be buying new stuff for this trip.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

And ekscrunchy - thanks for telling me that those shoes are not appropriate for the restaurants I mentioned. I appreciate it. Would something like the Eccos that bardo1 posted a link to be appropriate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -