Lido help

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lido help

Hi Everyone: First time on the board and going to Venice this Fri., one day stop over before Greek Isle Cruise. Our 40th so very excited!
I booked the Westin Excelsior, Venice Lido Resort. Seems to be a classy place but I was not aware it was on an island. We want to sight see for a bit before we catch our cruise next day leaving at 5:00. I was hoping to get to St. Marks Square but is this possible with about 6 hours? Also how do I get to the Pier terminal called Venezia Martittima?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jean
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Here's a link to a description of the Venice cruise terminal: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...-marittima.htm

It's in Venice proper, near the Piazzale Roma. If possible, I would cancel your hotel on the Lido and look for something in Venice proper. The Lido is reachable by vaporetto, but you're going to spend too much of your precious time going back and forth. The web site above lists hotels near the cruise port.

Plus the Lido is Venice Lite. It has cars and basically looks like most Italian towns. You just don't get the Venice experience there.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 09:09 AM

I stayed on Venice Lido this summer,at Hotel Des Bains, the other Starwood property. The water taxi to San Marco leaves right from The Excelsior. It's a very nice hotel, you'll enjoy it. It only takes 15-20 minutes and there's no charge if you're staying at the hotel.

I enjoyed staying on Lido. I was only there for 2 days and that was enough, though. It was away from the hustle bustle of the tourist's heaven (or hell) near San Marco. I was there in August when every tourist in the world packed the streets. I would never go back in August again. You picked a good time to go. Enjoy.

Ciao!
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I hate to break it to you - but all of Venice is islands - a whole bunch of them.

If you're asking about getting from the Excelsior back and forth to the main section of Venice - double check the hotel web site - I think you'll find they have private launches (hotel guests only) from the hotel's private dock back and forth to St Mark's on a regular basis. (At least they used to).

There is also public Vaporetto service from the Lido to St Marks - but naturally the hotel's private service is much more pleasant, convenient and free.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help everyone. Lizzie 1973, can you tell me if there was anything to do while at the Westin Excelsior, any nearby sights, nice restaurants etc. Since we have such a short time I dont want to be rushing, as this is a much needed restful type of holiday.
Thanks, Jean
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Jean, just enjoy the sights. Sit outside (weather permitting) and have cocktails while looking out at the water and just watch the people go by. Or, take a walk on the beach. Venice is beautiful and the sights are great. A romantic city to celebrate your 40th!

The town center area of Lido is very quaint and not far from your hotel. Just wander around. There are many good restaurants. Can't remember the name of the places I ate, but ask at your hotel. They can guide you. I told them I wanted a place that wasn't touristy and they directed me to some great places. The food in Italy is great--almost as good as France, in my opinion.

The boat ride to San Marco will be very relaxing as well. You'll get a great view of Venice that way. Take a stroll around the square and the boat ride back. They run every 30 minutes directly from your hotel and drop you off right at the square.

Enjoy!

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you soo much Lizzie, your post took all the frazzle out of me as Im rushing around trying to get everything done!
Bless you for giving me a taste of what it will be like thru your post.!
Jean
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Keep in mind that the Lido is a beach resort and bears no resemblance at all to historic Venice. Beach resorts are not usually at their best in terms of activities in mid-October. There are no particularly important sights on the Lido.

It would be sort of like staying in Newark to visit New York City--yes, you can do that and probably save some money, and there are things to see and do in Newark, but you're not really going to get much of a feel for NYC that way.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rufus:

I hear what you're saying and yes we do intend on going to San Marco Sq. as well, just not sure how much energy we will have after being in airports and flying for 21 hours. Hope to just stay around the hotel when we arrive at 1ish, possibly after a nap, then set out and see the sights.
Thanks for the comment.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM

HI Jean,
We stayed on Lido for 5 days and went to sight see venice several times a day. It's easy enough to get back and forth on the water taxi (no charge from hotel) that we were able to come and go quite often, we would sight see in the morning, go back for a siesta and then return in the late afternoon or evening. I believe it ran until 1am or midnight but no earlier than midnight. I thought lido was lovely and a nice offbeat change from the tourist hub-ub of venice. We were able to find some authentic back street restaurants as well, it's quite residential. I hope you enjoy yourself, venice and lido di venezia are both extraordinary places.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:14 AM

How are the Lido beaches? Are they rocks or sand? Small or large? Is going topless acceptable?
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:30 PM

Anyone?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Lido beaches are sandy...Topless is accepted most everywhere in Europe, as far as I've seen.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Lido Beaches are sandy, but really nothing special. When we visited a few years ago, the water looked and felt dirty.