Search

Libon - how many days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2018, 06:54 PM
mrt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Libon - how many days

Middle aged couple thinking about going to Lisbon next summer as part of Europe trip. I have heard it is a great city but not that much to see.
Is 4 days too long. A friend was there and told me that 2-3 days is enough. Your thoughts.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 07:31 PM

Things to do in Lisbon

Originally Posted by mrt
Middle aged couple thinking about going to Lisbon next summer as part of Europe trip. I have heard it is a great city but not that much to see.
Is 4 days too long. A friend was there and told me that 2-3 days is enough. Your thoughts.
I have not been to Lisbon yet but we will be there in April, and I have done a lot of research. Regarding how much there is to see depends on what you are interested in. We will be there for 5 nights, so we have about 4.5 days. We do plan on spending one day in Sintra. I think 3 days in Lisbon would be the minimum amount of time to spend there.

What do you like to do? Do you like museums? Churches? Historical sights? Wandering in niebhorhoods? Relaxing at cafes?

This is a list of the things we want to do:

Gulbenkian Museum
Tile Museum
Coach Museum
Sao Georges Castle
Se Cathedral
1 or 2 small churches
Jeronimos Monastery
Tower of Belem
Wander around the neighborhoods, such as Alfama
Go to the Miradouro (lookout points) for views

There are more museums if you are interested. I suggest buying a good guidebook. I have Fodors.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 07:36 AM

We will be there in May. After reading and watching travel videos, I changed my itinerary from 3 nights in Lisbon to 5. It just looks like a really wonderful city. If 5 nights turns out to be too much, I can take a day trip to Evora.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 09:34 AM

I did not have time to go to Sintra in 3 days stay.
...without rushing around I’d say four is better.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 12:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We sfayed nine nights in Losbon, took a day trip to Sintra and another one to Caiscais. We loved every minute of our time in Lisbon and never ran out of things to do and see.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 04:03 AM

Hi,

"I have heard it is a great city but not that much to see". It's not a great city, it's an amazing city, very different from the other capital cities in Europe.
"Not much to see". Who said that? Certainly someone that has never been to Lisbon before, Lisbon has so much to offer than 1 week is short. Lisbon and around the city (in a radius of 50 km's) you'll be able to find tons of things to do and see. If you like the beach, look no further, Lisbon is famous for it's huge coastal line, equally or better than Barcelona:
Lisbon's Beaches - A beach guide fully updated for 2018!
4 days will be a short stay. For Lisbon itself save yourself at least 2 to 3 days. Lisbon should be visit walking. The old neighborhood of Alfama with its old houses, narrow cobblestone streets, the Fado music, old churches, the Sé cathedral, the Pantheon, the Saint Vicent monastery, the castle, will keep you occupied for a all day or more.It's such a picturesque place...
https://www.lisbonlux.com/lisbon/alf...king-tour.html
Then the neighboordhood of Baixa/chiado:
https://www.lisbonlux.com/lisbon/chiado.html
https://www.lisbonlux.com/lisbon/baixa.html
And Belém:
https://www.lisbonlux.com/lisbon/belem.html

A visit to Lisbon it's not complete without a visit to the outstanding Sintra village only 20 kms away (very easy, and cheap by train):
Sintra Portugal Guide - Fully Updated for 2018!

See, 4 days is a short stay because you'll miss a lot of things.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 04:36 PM
mrt
Original Poster

Now I am wondering if I should stay a night in Sintra to ensure I have a day and 1/2 to see everything.