LHR terminal 3 Virgin Atlantic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying into LHR next Friday at noon. Please give a simple idea of what to expect at airport. I am a senior traveling alone and do not hear well. It helps to learn and plan in advance. Does the whole plane load of people go as a group to have pass ports checked, and then get luggage? Is everything on one level or do you have to take little subway systems on different levels? Is it a really long walk? Should I expect an hour or more to get thru? Has anyone used the transfer desk? I will need a car or cab ride to hotel in Bayswater... suggestions? Is it better to reserve a cab or car in advance?
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, everyone on the plane heads for immigration and baggage claim (customs in the UK is a walk through), except those making connections. It can be a long walk, and a long wait to clear passport control, you might want to arrange with the airline for a wheelchair if you have mobility problems or issues with standing for an extended period.

Not sure why you are asking about the transfer desk if you are staying in London.

The usual recommendation, if you are not taking public transport, is to arrange pick up with a car service such as http://www.justairports.com/

This is the website for the airport:
http://www.heathrow.com/
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I asked about the transfer desk because the travel agent said they could tell me about transportation options to the hotel in Bayswater.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 09:58 PM

<i>I asked about the transfer desk because the travel agent said they could tell me about transportation options to the hotel in Bayswater.</i>

You need a better TA. Transfer desks are for people who are connecting between flights, not to get you a taxi.

And a good TA would tell you how to get to Bayswater
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 10:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Is it a really long walk?<<

It can be an ENORMOUS walk. If you have mobility issues, contact the airline to arrange a wheelchair to meet you at the gate.

>>I asked about the transfer desk because the travel agent said they could tell me about transportation options to the hotel in Bayswater.<<

I have NO idea what your travel agent is talking about. There is no 'transfer desk' for ground transportation. The best there is - is an information desk to point you in the right direction.

The Underground connections to Bayswater are not easy. I would book a car service using this website justairports.com This MUST be pre-booked because they cannot pick you up at the airport without a reservation. The driver will meet you as you exit the Arrivals Hall. It will still be a long walk from the plane, but not nearly as long as to the tube station.

The only other option for transport is to take the Heathrow Express train to Paddington station (fast train but still the long walk) and then a cab to your hotel. Justairports will be cheaper than doing that.

. . . Oh - and fire your travel agent.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 10:08 PM

was posting the same time as dotheboyshall . . . we agree re your travel agent. Pretty useless.

Instead of telling you to find a non-existant transfer desk, s/he could have at least booked you a car service. But it is probably a good thing s/he didn't, because justairports will be much cheaper than the companies most TA's or hotels use.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 04:41 AM

Entirely agree that your travel agent doesn't know what s/he is talking about. Fire her when you get back.

However, it does raise the issue of what else s/he has got wrong, what else has s/he done for you for this trip?
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 05:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, ladt time we flew to LHR, Term 3 on Virgin Atlantic, passport control took at leadt an hour. Order a wheelchairand book a driver service.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 06:01 AM

I don't think the travel agent is necessarily wrong, I think there may be a semantics issue. Many people use the word "transfers" to mean transportation from an airport into town. IN fact some people are assuming they mean a plane connection and that is not the wrod usually used for that in airports, in fact, there are desks and points at Heathrow for information regarding connections because I've seen signs for them.

Many airports do have an information desk just for transfers in the sense of going from the airport elsewhere, it's right near the exit where the signs point you to for taxis/buses/car rentals or whatever. I've never seen it called transfers, though, it's usually called Ground Transportation INformation or something. So saying a transfers desk is for connecting to another plane is just as wrong as what this TA said, as that isn't called a transfer desk in any airport where I've been.

IN any case, there is a general information desk in the arrivals area of Terminal 3. If you want exact directions, it's in front of baggage claim number 7, if you need it. So maybe jot that down.

I agree that maybe arranging for the car service with Justairports would be best.

I think the TA should have helped a little more on finding out transfer options for Jan but it sounds like he/she doesn't know much about London and didn't want to find out transfer options. Maybe they are bad, who knows, depends what they are really doing for the OP and how much they are getting paid to do it.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 06:48 AM

You're a senior traveling alone, get what you can planned ahead. That means airport transport to the hotel with a car service. Car services will run you about 35 pounds, a taxi will be DOUBLE that total.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 07:52 AM

Here are two good car service companies. You can book online. With Blackberry you can even call as they have U.S. number 1 888 .......

www.justairports.com

wwww.blackberrycars.com

You can pay online by credit card or with £'s on arrival at destination.

There are ATM's at all terminals. I don't usually like to use them ( another story and further explanation ) but they are fine for a one time use. You do not want a taxi.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just FYI,
everybody assumes you are traveling in Economy; travelers in Business and First often use the so-called "Fast Track" through Immigration which can be a bit faster.

I agree that "walk" is not only long but can also involve stairs and ramps.

As you have seen, the term "senior" around here almost automatically starts the "order a wheelchair" routine.

Do you actually NEED one. Hearing-impaired is not the same as mobility-impaired.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 09:53 AM

I wrote:

"you might want to arrange with the airline for a wheelchair <b>if</b> you have mobility problems or issues with standing for an extended period." (emphasis added.)

I am a senior. I have not yet arranged for a wheelchair, but it is becoming increasingly tempting, especially at Heathrow.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 01:50 PM

>>I don't think the travel agent is necessarily wrong, <<

Actually the TA is wrong. There is no ground transport transfer desk - no matter how one defines 'transfer'. There is a central bus station, there is the HEX/Heathrow Connect station, there is the London Underground station, there is a taxi rank. There is NO combo desk that arranges ground transport. You have to know which one of the above modes you want -- then schlepp to that specific station or taxi rank to get whatever tickets you need.

Yes, there is a general info desk just outside arrivals -- but all they will do is direct you to whichever station/taxi rank . . .

That is yet another reason to use a car service like Blackberry or justairports. The driver waits w/ a sign w/ your name on it as you exit Arrivals - so you don't even have to hunt for the Information desk.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I will order a wheel chair and a car to get to the hotel. One last question. Dukey1 mentioned a pass for business class that was a bit faster. Is that something you have to order in advance too?
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 02:35 PM

>>Dukey1 mentioned a pass for business class that was a bit faster. Is that something you have to order in advance too?<<

No -- if you are flying in Business or First Class you get to go through the fast track immigration line. And it is usually a LOT faster.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 03:45 PM

They issue fast track passes prior to landing usually along with the customs or landing card which you will need to fill out preferably before disembarking. If traveling First Class or Business, and if they don't give you a fast track pass just ask.

You will go through passport control first then collect any checked luggage then simply walk through customs ( the green light ) You will then be in arrival hall where your car service driver will be waiting for you with your name on a board or piece of paper. Easy peasy.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 04:05 PM

>>You will then be in arrival hall where your car service driver will be waiting for you with your name on a board or piece of paper. Easy peasy.<<

My last 3 or 4 flights they've actually used iPads/tablets -- which really aren't as easy to read from a distance (jet lagged) as are the 'old fashioned' pieces of paper/card stock.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 04:50 PM

I agree that I much prefer the old signs. It depends on the car service and, perhaps, the driver.