Let Me Get This Straight About Power Converters

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read a lot of the threads regarding power converters and adapters and would just like to be sure I have this straight.

I will be traveling to London and Paris and bringing along a digital camera, portable DVD player and/or a laptop computer. If my power cord says "100-240AV" then do I just need the converter?

I have a Sharper Image Travel Converter which says on the back it can be used as a "Thru Transformer" in one position and as an "Adpater Plug" in the other. However the instructions say it is only for use with appliances of 50-1600 watts such as hair dryers and coffee pots.

How do I power up my laptop or recharge my digital camera?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Terminology:

An <b>adapter</b> is a mechanical device that makes it possible to fit an American plug into a UK or Continental outlet.

A <b>converter</b> is an electrical device that changes the 220V European voltage to 110V for American appliances.

If your device's AC power supply says 110-240V or the like, then all you need is an adapter.

If your electronics don't have dual-voltage supplies, you will need a <i>transformer</i> type converter. The <i>switching</i> type converter you have will burn them out.
---------------------------------
Your laptop or digital camera can be plugged directly into the wall using an adapter if it has a dual-voltage AC supply.

If it doesn't, you will need a transformer. See

http://www.franzus.com/page/FOS/PROD/ELEC-CONV/F-11-1

(You will need a higher-power transformer if your laptop draws more than 50W.)
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Your digital camera and DVD/laptop will be fine. It converts itself to 110/120 when in the States, and 220/240 when in Europe. All you need is a plug adapter to plug the thing directly into the wall. The two U.S. flat prongs won't fit into European round holes.

If you are going to the UK or Ireland, it has a different type of plug adapter (3 prongs).

Here's a link to plug adapters. http://www.voltageconverters.com/plug_adapters.html

GS-9 and GS-20 for continental Europe, and PB-12 for UK/Ireland.

The converter is used only if you have a power object that says 110V/60. You need the converter (transformer) to step down the 220V to 110V.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM

If your charging devices are plainly marked 100 - 240 volts input, then you simply need an adapter, not a converter.
The adapter just turns one type of plug into another, no transformers involved. Most newer power supplies for electronics will handle the 100-240 volts.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM
J62

Bud has it correct

Your statement &quot;I will be traveling to London and Paris and bringing along a digital camera, portable DVD player and/or a laptop computer. If my power cord says &quot;100-240AV&quot; then do I just need the converter?&quot; is NOT correct.

You will just need the appropriate plug adaptor for the region you are visiting, but no voltage converter.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys have made this abundantly clear. And J62, you are absolutely correct...I should have said plug adapter.

Robespierre...Always there when I need you, aren't you? Thank you for your quick response.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:55 AM
ira

Hi D,

&gt;&quot;I will be traveling to London and Paris and bringing along a digital camera, portable DVD player and/or a laptop computer.&lt;

You have 2 too many pieces of stuff.

The plug adapter you will need for London is different from the one you will need in Paris.

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Ira...My adapter is adjustable and good for all countries including the UK and France. And while the laptop is for work, the DVD player is for Mom but we may scrap that altogether. Haven't decided as yet. But they do fit in the same case and are both small so it is not a problem carrying.