Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which plug adapter to buy for Switz. and Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to determine what types of plugs to buy an adapter for, for my digital camera..<BR><BR>I will be travelling in Switzerland and Italy, do they use the same plug configuration?
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 10:01 PM

The plug configuration is the same for both, like most of Europe other than UK and Ireland. Don'd forget though that they run on 220v, not 110v like the US. Probably already know that but if not, you're going to need both a power converter AND a power adapter.<BR><BR>This Radio Shack converter seems to be pretty universal and comes with adapters for plugging into wall outlers all over the world, with the US plug in on the other side.<BR><BR>http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1412
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Eli

First, you need to make sure that your adapter is not the &quot;dual voltage&quot; type, becuase many digital camera adapters are. If its specifications say 110-220V, then you should not use the AC convertor mentioned in the previous post, but a plain plug adapter. In Switzerland they use &quot;plug type B&quot; in Radio-Shack's lingo; this is what you should ask from the sales-person.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:56 AM

My digital camera came with a 110/220 battery charger, so you can use it anywhere in Europe (which uses 220w) without using a transformer. <BR><BR>Now, the only other problem is plugging it into the receptacle. You need a plug converter which changes the two flat prongs into two round prongs.<BR><BR>Clifton's link is to a transformer. This link below is to the plug adaptors ($9.99). Note, the big one (3 prongs) is used for London.<BR><BR>http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&amp;category%5Fnam e=CTLG%5F004%5F007%5F001%5F000&amp;product%5Fid=27 3%2D1405<BR><BR>The only one you really need is the one at the botton, with 2 round prongs.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied..<BR><BR>I've got one on order now..
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:00 AM

I live in Switzerland, and do not agree that the plugs are the same in Italy and Switzerland. Switzerland has a unique plug configuration: three round pins in a row with the center pin slightly higer than the other two; sort of a smashed triangle. Your best bet is to have the hotel lend you an adaptor (not a converter, that converts electricity, you just need to adapt your plug). Some hotel rooms in Switzerland may have 3-prong plugs that are more similar to the rest of Europe, it depends on the hotel;, i.e. international chain hotels are more likely to have a more conventional plug.<BR><BR>I have never found a plug adaptor kit that contains a Swiss-shaped plug.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:55 AM

Cicerone -- I stand corrected. <BR><BR>The center prong is probably the ground. Can one still use a 2-prong plug? Is is spaced to fit?
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:12 AM

I have not been able to get a European 2-prong plug to fit into a Swiss 3-hole wall socket. The two end holes of the socket are 2 cm apart, which is narrower than any 2-prong plug I have seen. Also, the pin holes of the socket are a tiny bit smaller than the pins of a 2-prong plug.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:37 AM

Budman, your &quot;The center prong is probably the ground&quot; must be correct. In Switzerland, all the sockets are with three holes but today most house appliences come with two round thick pins (what you call prongs?)<BR>I have been using my Brown shaver (universal voltage) on my trip but <BR>I don't remember having had problmes with sockets in Italy, France or Spain. The exception was in England where you need an adaptor. <BR><BR>
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:12 AM

Sorry, I meant &quot;my Brown shaver THAT I bought in Switzerland&quot;. Also I have no plug problem with my recharger for my cellular (both bought in Switzerland) using in the countries I have been to recently, Italy, France, Spain. Cicerone, are we saying about the same thing, only you one way and me another? I know you are saying from your experience but I do live in CH too. A bit confused. Can somebody enlighten me?