Reload this Page >

Les Halles underground - worth a visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:57 AM
Kay

I know I could just go there during my next trip to Paris and find out for myself, but I am curious to hear what others have to say about this place. One guide book says its scuzzy (my word, not theirs) and should be avoided at night because of the low-lifes who hang out there. True or not?<BR>Kay<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:11 AM
Eye Spy

Kay: the Forum des Halles is a shopping mall. Les Halles (pronounced 'Lay All' (since I can't give you a true phonetic transcription here, this is the closest I can come up with) used to be an area where open air markets were (butchers, etc.) and about 20 years ago, the City of Paris tore it up and built a mall with gardens and fountains above ground. There are many, many stores and restaurants in the surrounding streets, like rue Pierre Lescot, rue des Halles and others. Inside the Forum there is a municipal swimming pool and you can observe the swimmers from the outside (just by the exit that leads up to Saint-Eustache church). There is also a metro station in Les Halles that links it to Ch&acirc;telet/Ligne 1 of the metro. Les Halles is always quite crowded, parts of the Forum less so after about 9 o'clock when only the movie theaters are still open. Go any day of the week but especially Saturday afternoon everyone seems to be there. Be cautious in the Forum in the more &quot;remote&quot; areas -- yes bums and young people sometimes looking for trouble do hang around -- but it by no means to be avoided. And especially around the metro entrance you will see groups of French policemen (who always travel in groups of three). In Place des Innocents there is a huge fountain that is lovely. As you travel north on rue Saint-Denis (all the streets in the vicinity are pedestrian) you will eventually see some sex shops and further north the prostitutes in their doorways (remnants of the old rue Saint-Denis). Just be cautious going to the guichets automatiques (ATM's); bums will walk up to you and ask for money. In fact, pretty much starting from Place des Innocents and then going up the rue Saint-Denis. Just some advice I hope helps. There are many, many restaurants, trendy boutiques of mediocre quality and cafes in Les Halles and then going towards Le Marais on the other side of Boulevard Sebastopol. On Saturday evenings, everywhere is pretty much full up!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:07 PM
Eye Spy

Kay: you can view photos of the Forum des Halles and look at the map of the different levels and learn a bit about the history at http://www.forum-des-halles.com/prod/index.jsp?pays=2<BR><BR>It's very informative. There's even a list of all the stores and business hours.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:12 PM
xxx

Say, Eye Spy, shouldn't Les Halles be pronounced &quot;lay zahl&quot;?

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:14 PM
andi

I'd say absolutely not. I was there with my 13-year-old daughter in April, and it was just her speed - lots of &quot;cool&quot; clothing stores, but I felt like I was in some faceless mall. There is nothing &quot;Paris&quot; about it. High on my list of things to avoid.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:20 PM
Eye Spy

XXX: The &quot;h&quot; in Halles is what we call in French &quot;une H aspir&eacute;e&quot; meaning you must not make the liaison with the previous word. Another example would be when you speak of Dutchmen, in French &quot;Hollandais.&quot; To say some Dutchmen, you would write &quot;des Hollandais&quot; but you would NOT make the liaison - just like in Les Halles. Instead: it would be pronounced (here again, no phonetic transcription available) &quot;Day … Ohlanday.&quot; Do not make the liaison with Les Halles or you will be pronouncing it incorrectly. Ask any Frenchman.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:25 PM
Eye Spy

XXX: I should mention too that if you say I'm going to Les Halles, you would say: &quot;Je vais aux Halles.&quot; You do NOT make the liaison either. It would be pronounced &quot;oh ... Ahl.&quot; ('s' after Halles is silent too, of course).

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:27 PM
frenchie

Makes me all think of <BR><BR>les haricots...

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:28 PM
xxx

Oh, Eye Spy, you are so smart!<BR>I guess I just was taught all wrong in my high school French class!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:41 PM
kay

Thank you as usual, Eye Spy,for the help<BR>and also to andi for your opinion. I guess I shall venture down and see for myself ; at least now I know what areas to avoid and when to go.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:55 PM
Joyce

I visited there a few years ago. At the time it seemed to be just a big hangout for teenagers. Maybe because most of the stores there were selling items geared towards younger people. <BR><BR>The mall also seemed rather dark and dingy. Maybe the lighting has improved since my visit.