Leaving Paris for Rome

May 24th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Leaving Paris for Rome

We are taking our 2 16 year old granddaughters to London, Paris and Rome for their 16th birthdays. Flying into London, then taking the chunnel into Paris where we will be celebrating their actual birthdays. We are leaving Paris for Rome where we will only have 3 full days before we have to leave to come home. We were thinking of flying to Rome (unless there is a sleeper train that would only take overnight). Any suggestions as to mode of transportation, lodgings, things that would be fun for 16 year old girls.
Thank you,
Joyce
May 24th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Joyce,
We took our 15 and 16 year old grandsons to Paris and Rome in March, and I would definitely recommend that you fly between the two cities. It's just a 2-hour flight and still leaves you with a good part of a day, if you leave in the AM. When I was looking into it, the overnight trains were even more expensive than the flights and didn't sound too comfortable. For me, the value of a train trip is seeing the scenery, and traveling at night, you'd miss most of it.
In Rome, our teens enjoyed the Forum, Hard Rock Cafe and the Capuccin Crypt. We were there for 5 nights, and took daytrips to Ostia Antica and Orvieto, and these turned out to be their favorites. Oh, they did think the Trevi Fountain was "awesome". And they became hooked on gelato, of course.

I think they preferred Paris, tons to do there, and easier to navigate. Unfortunately, we had bad weather in both cities, so didn't get to do as much outdoor things as we had hoped. When are you going?
From another "Joyce"
May 24th, 2007, 07:51 AM

We are flying Easy Jet between London Rome and Paris. The flights were less expensive than taking the train.

Our flight from the US is into London and out of Paris. So we added the Rome portion in the middle. Total Cost for 1 adult and 1 child was $250.00 USD. I must admit, however, I hated giving up the opportunity to travel to Paris on the Eurostar.
May 24th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Excellent advice. Especially Ostica Antica.

We took our 13 and 16 year old nieces to Paris and Rome last fall and of course shopping was a big part of it.

A great, cheap(ish) place in Paris to shop is the Prisunic -- the "woolworth's" of france..they have everything from Bourgeois Cosmetics (reputedly made by Chanel by drugstore prices) to handbags to groceries.
And in Rome we went to Standa for a similar experience.

We all took the iJourneys.com iPod tours and loved them. In Paris you go underground on the Left Bank Tour (among other things) and the girls loved the Coliseum/Forum Rome tour too. It gave them info they used for the rest of the time in Italy -- even when we were just at the beach. the girls thought the walks were cool.

A great place to eat in Rome is Giggetto (it's in all the books) because you literally sit inside Roman Ruins while you eat outdoors. And the food is ancient ghetto food like the original Romans ate.

for good cheaper, no brand name shopping in Rome check out the main shopping street of the Vatican side of things: Cola di Rienzo and near the morning market of Campo Dei Fiori (go with the kids) is the street called Giubbonari with cheap and teen clothing stores.

and make sure you show the girls some Caravaggio's (they're in churches all over town)....it will really make them connect to Italian art!
May 24th, 2007, 08:14 AM

We just flew rt from rome to Paris and back on Easyjet. We had a good experience with them. In Rome they just had everybody line up at the gate and get on a bus to the plane. It did not matter to them when you checked in. In Paris you were boarded in the order that you checked in and they were strict about it. The stewardess let us sit in an exit row, as we were in the first group boarding. The flight was smooth and brief. From Ciampino and vice versa we took the Terravision bus. There is information about it online. I purchased my ticket online and just showed the driver my voucher.
May 24th, 2007, 08:35 AM

they may like the Atresia overnight Paris to Rome train - can book a 4-person compartment and wake up in Rome in the morning. Best fares: www.voyages-sncf.com but book early for cheap fares.

You should also book very early for good Eurostar fares - for those under 26 they can be as low as about $52 one way or $89 for those over 26 but not many seats at these prices - especially for Fri, Sat Sun travel. Two good sources: www.eurostar.com for prices in Brit Pounds and BETS (800-441-2387) who i always recommend to check for US prices - they work thru Raileurope but have better expert service and lower mailing fees. But book early on both but be sure as cheapest tickets not changeable or refundable. Both trains are very popular. Thing your granddaughters may remember the night train experience more than just another flight. T-4 compartment is two bunks opposite each other with bedding, pillows lots of room for luggage, etc. And save on hotel costs.
May 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Great info. Thanks.
May 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Would also echo PalenO's suggestion. We've found teenagers really like taking the trains in Europe, especially the Eurostar (since it's so radically different than US). They often remember the train trips as much as other parts of the trip.
May 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the wonderful information. I had to go out of town unexpectedly right after I posted this so apologize for not thanking everyone sooner. Joyce, we are leaving for London on June 21, arrive in Paris on January 24, and leave for Rome on 28 and then home on July 3. I know it is a tight schedule but all we can do at this time. Thanks again. Joyce
May 30th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Oh how cool joyce. i am also traveling with a my senior class after high school graduatoin to europe for a ten day tour,our last destination is in london but from there a few friends and i will acutally travel from london to paris to rome and then back to paris for our flight back home via easyjet, ryanair and vueling . once in rome we will be going to florence and to milan then thats where we head back to paris.

and we are going just about the same time you are too.

so if anybody has tips for me as for what to pack,what to wear and where to go and any money saving tips taht would be so wonderful!