Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving for Rome tomorrow - Final question.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am headed to Rome tomorrow for a wonderful vacation of food, wine and laughing with my husband! Can you feel my excitement? I only have one more question regarding the Rome subway.

My husband and I are staying close to the Vatican. Would it be best for us to cab from the Vatican to the Colloseum to start our day or should we take the subway? I've heard that the subway can be full of pickpockets, but convenient; but have also heard that cabs are cheap and plentiful. Your opinions?

Thank you for all of the advice that has been so generously and patiently doled out since October. I could not have planned this trip without the help of everyone on this site.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:49 AM

I didn't think the taxis in Rome were very cheap. But it depends on what your point of reference is.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM
RJD

I tend to use cabs in Rome more frequently than in other large cities. Rome cabs are realtively reasonable and the subway lines are limited. (They keep bumping into important ruins.) A cab from the Vatican to the Coliseum should cost about 10 euros. Not a bad bargain for two, while avoiding the crowds and potential for crime on the subways.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:40 AM
eri

We have just returned from Rome. We used the bus service. No problem at all. Very efficient.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I visited Rome last summer, and I'll be returning this summer. Personally, my preference is to take a taxi. It is much quicker and less stressful than the subway.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:58 AM

I have never taken a cab in Rome (heck I'm terrified of crossing the street in Rome, let alone getting in a car!), but I have friends who have taken cabs and felt them to be very useful.

We hear about the pickpockets, but you can help to avoid this without banning subways from your travels.

Don't show that you are a tourist. Taking out maps, etc. Know your subway route in advance so you don't have to look too often or long at the maps in the subways stations. Don't show your camera (I carry a large enough purse to hold my camera). Don't speak too much on the subway so they hear English.

I carry one debit card and a little cash in my purse or front pocket. I carry another credit card from which I can get cash if needed and my passport in my money belt. I zip up my purse. Keep the purse pockets toward my body, and then forget it.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 09:03 AM

We were in Rome for the first time last week and took the subway. It was clean, efficient and cheap. I think the concerns about crime are very exaggerated. We did not feel unsafe at all. You could easily take the red line to the Termini station and go two stops to the Colloseum, for 1 euro each. We bought our tickets at the machine near the turnstile. There's a button to puch for English. Very easy to use.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM

As someone mentined above subway in Rome are not that convenient since the coverage is very limited due to existence of ancient ruins. there are buses - but often crowded - and not always frequent.

We either walk (but we're used to walking a lot) or take cabs everywhere - they're not very expensive unless you're on a really tight budget. Our technique - depending on the plan of the day is to either cab to the first destination and see things on the way back - or start with the closest sight and continue walking to the last one- and cab back from there.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Hi

My wife and I used the metro a couple of times and we found it quite handy. But we took the bus more and we were also a bit worried about the pickpockets but we did not experience anything bad. I have posted a trip report with pictures and links from Rome on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm Maybe you can find some useful information there. Have a GREAT trip

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
While the subway network is not extensive in Rome, it is very convenient if you happen to be traveling between two points it serves. There is a stop at the Colosseum as well as near the Vatican, so for your example it would be a good choice. There are other areas of Rome with no good subway access, and for these the bus is frequently a more convenient option.

Both the bus and the subway become extremely crowded during rush hours.

I would play it by ear. More energy, take the subway. Ready to give your feet a break, take a taxi. There is no wrong answer.

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 12:05 PM

I chime right in with Nikki. Wait and see how you feel and do what feels right at the time.
Most important is to be flexible and open to all the serendipity that can happen if we are willing.
Be sure to take time just to roam (while in Rome) - like people always suggest in Venice. I love to putter around Rome and be surprised at every turning.
Have a wonderful trip,
Carol / Brahmama
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Hi Drifus,

I used a couple taxis in Rome and didn't think they were inexpensive, especially for a single person.

I've taken the Metro in Milan, Rome and even Naples with no problems and didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

Use whatever seems to work best for you at the time!

Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 06:49 PM

We would start our day taking a cab to wherever our first point was.

From there we would walk the rest of the day winding up at our apartment.

Felt it was better to stay refreshed for later in the day (also got to sleep a bit later in the morning).

DOnna