Le Lavoisier: another hotel for francophile03

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks like quite a nice hotel--any comments?
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Airlawgirl

Yup. Comes very well recommended (just last week, as a matter of fact) by a lawyer friend of mine in New York, whose travel agent booked it for him. Rooms were lovely (his words) spacious, very clean, charming staff-large French windows-they liked everything about it, and advised they will stay there again. The hotel is very near la Madeleine Church, Fauchons, etc.

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Airlawgirl

Curious, I just took a look on tripadvisor.com to see what the comments were. I was a bit surprised-all reviews were overwhelmingly positive, some describing it as a "bijou" and a best-kept secret of theirs-you don't normally see that kind of uniform praise for any Paris hotels. Didn't check the rates, but it appears it's not in the deluxe 4 star category.

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Hi Underhill, yes, I've read about this hotel. It gets great reviews as mentioned. However, it's in the 8th district, nice area it's located, but for me, I think I decided I like the 6th best.

But Lavoisier is owned by the same owners who own the St. Gregoire (6th) and the Tourville (7th); gee, looks like they own a hotel in the 6th-8th districts! I believe the staff at all these hotels get great comments as well for their service.

Yes, the Lavoisier is a good choice. Are you interested in this one, Underhill?
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Sort of, although it's in an area that's not one of my favorites compared with the 1st and the 6th. Also, I don't see much about Internet connectivity.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 02:03 PM

They're listed at www.parishotels.com and there's mention that internet connection is possible in the rooms.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Went to look and discovered the St-Gregoire: very pretty rooms, but I've heard that they are smallish.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Hi Underhill, I had asked about the St. Gregoire just recently. Its decor is similar to the Tourville and Lavoisier. The only drawback is the location; the hotel says it takes only 2 minutes to walk to Bon Marche which is down the street. Is this accurate??

Anyway, it's closer to Montparnasse and not to St. Germain. I figure if I walk it to St. Germain in the freezing January wintertime it may not be a pleasant walk. I average it may be 30 minutes for me. Last time I walked from rue Jacob to Bon Marche it is kind of far.

I understand that the St. Gregoire and the Tourville do not have shower curtains or shields. Since the owner is the same I guess the Lavoisier may not have them either.

On Rants & Raves a few people really ranted badly about the St. Gregoire so are those comments valid? I hope not as it looks like a nice place.

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 03:21 PM

I'd say there's no way in the world Bon marche is two minutes from the St Gregoire unless you run. Really, hardly anything is two minutes from something unless it's a door or two away. It's not that far, though. I'd say it's about three short blocks, the grocery store is closer than the main store.

It isn't a 30 minute walk to St Germain, but that does depend where you want to go. It's probably about 15-20 min to rue de Buci, maybe. Well, maybe it could be 30 in bad weather.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks, Christina, for clarifying exactly how far the distance is between the St. Gregoire & the Bon Marche and the distance from the hotel and St. Germain. I couldn't believe it's only 2 minutes (by walking too) to the Bon Marche even if I ran. And it's the manager who told me that!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 04:58 PM

You can put two addresses into www.mappy.com, and select "pedestrian" to find out how far something is when walking. You can even specify 'via' to create a routing a certain way.

I use this all the time to see how far it would be to walk from nearest metro to a hotel.