Which arrondisement, which Paris hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After researching the board for hours today, I'm having second thoughts about my Paris hotel. I'm booked at Le Lavoisier Opera which is highly rated at tripadvisor. Should I really be in the 8th arr or am better off at the 6th or 7th? My budget is anything below 200EUR/nite for a 3-4 star hotel.

The Madison looked really good but reviews were quite appaling sometimes and that always raises alarm signals for me. Alternatively, I am keen on Hotel Royal Saint Michel.

And should I really be looking at boutique/small sized hotels? They seem to be the ones recommended here and in tripadvisor. But one thing that I've noticed is that there always appears to be a review or 2 in tripadvisor questioning the glowing reports for these hotels.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:18 AM

The hotel looks lovely and I found this thread that mentions it...
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1271908

It's up to you where you want to stay. Everyone on this board has their own opinion about their favorite area. It really depends on exactly the kind of experience you're looking for, ie: a neighborhood that's more quiet and residential or one that is full of tourists and has lots of activity at all hours. Is this your first trip to Paris?
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Did you get a good on-line rate? The website shows the cheapest room as being 255e a night.

If you do decide to change your reservation, you might look at Hotel St. Germain in the 6th. Very small hotel about a block from the Seine. We loved it and it's definitely in your price range. http://www.paris-hotel-st-germain.com/
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Take a look at Le Regent, which isn't too far from the Madison. Quieter street, nice (but smallish) rooms for the price. Great location.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:52 AM

I think you'll find that the "appalling" reviews of the Madison are for the period while the hotel was being renovated. Our stays have always been excellent; I posted a long review on tripadvisor about our September 2004 experience.

However, I don't think your budget will work for the Madison, so it probably doesn't matter.

BTW, I've seen some terrible reviews about the Le Lavoisier Opera. I think you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt--people can be unhappy for any number of reasons, some of which are highly personal.

You'd probably enjoy the 6th or 7th more than the Opéra area.
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:31 AM

I just never assume any hotel is only going to have glowing, positive comments. That is just rarely true. I go with what is said and how important that is to me, and how recent it was (regardless of some people thinking some reviews are fake, I've never read any on tripadvisor for the hotels I was searching that seemed fake).

As for what you should be looking for -- well, that's up to you. Some people only prefer small hotels, and some like large ones. I am sort of in thte middle, and it depends on how long I'm staying and the goal. And the hotel itself, of course. Often there are some advantages in quality, services, and perhaps availability (or choice of rooms) in larger hotels. But, in some cities like Paris, a lot of the hotels in the central area are smaller, and I prefer that in Paris.

I've read many good thing about the Lavoisier. But it's hard to know which area you would prefer, or whether it will matter. You could be perfectly happy in either area. I would not be attracted by the Royal St Michel myself (ugh). Not because of the hotel, which is probably perfectly fine, but it's in a very noisy, congested tourist area and on a rather unattractive street. That wouldn't appeal to me (it is very close to St Michel metro stop), but it does appeal to some first-time tourists as you can read on those reviews. Some people like being in that kind of area, and for a first-time tourist, it definitely will be close to lots of things, and you can walk to a lot. At least one of those reviews said it wasn't noisy even right on the boulevard (hard for me to believe, even with double paned windows).
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:49 PM

We have stayed at the Balcons just off St Germain and St Michael. It is about two blocks from Luxemborg Palace, and easy walking distance to the Seine and Notre Dame. Lots of action close by such as theaters, restaurants and people watching. We have stayed there for eight trips over the last few years, and love the place. A lot of Americans stay there. Some of the rooms are fairly small, and some are large. We usually try to get a room facing the front, and on the 3rd or 4th floor. Not much traffic right there, so it is pretty quiet, and the price is probably in your range. Their site is at http://www.paris-hotel-grandbalcons..../TheHotel1.htm or just put in Balcons.com . Any other help, let me know. Skip in Montana
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:03 AM

MY wife and I have stayed twice at Hotel Pas des Calais - right off blvd Sainte Gemrain and near restaurants, metro, and shops. We have also stayed at Le Sainte Beauve which is a small, very nice hotel in the 6th.