l'Atlas Restaurant, Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking for a restaurant in the 6th arrondisement that serves choucroute and isn't too expensive. I came across one notice about l'Atlas as a possibiiity and another about an Atlas that is Morrocan. Has anyone been to the the l'Atlas recently. Does it have choucroute and what's it like? This is or tonight so early responses are appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 08:53 AM

I think I ate there once a year or two ago, just for lunch. It's nothing special, didn't have choucroute so can't say. It doesn't have very good online reviews if you ask me (ie, what you see in Google). The Morrocan one is over just off the quay near Notre Dame, assume you mean the one on rue de Buci. I think you can do better, although not sure that area is really the best for choucroute. Of course Brasserie Lipp is known for that, I suppose you don't want to spend that much.

Here is a small place in the neighborhood I usually stay, Montparnasse. It's cheaper than Lipp, and isn't really that far by metro from St Germain (Vavin metro stop the closest which is the same line going through Odeon). I don't like choucroute but know someone else who thought it okay there.
http://aubretzel.free.fr/

Another place in that general neighborhood is Le Bec Rouge, also around 25 euro I guess http://www.restaurantlebecrouge.fr/
It's closest to Montparnasse metro stop.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 10:17 AM

No Moroccan restaurant will serve choucroute (pork meat).
Try Balzar, rue des Ecoles, Paris 5.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
My only thought about the word "Atlas" in France is that everybody knows that it is a mountain chain in Morocco.

For pretty good sauerkraut, I would recommend Chez Jenny just off Place de la République, but also any of the Taverne Karlbraü restaurants (some might still be called Taverne de Maître Kanter, but they're the same place). Two good ones are one rue du Louvre at Les Halles or at Place de la République. Then there is also La Strasbourgeoise right across from Gare de l'Est.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 01:10 PM

These are two completely different restaurants (the one in the 5th and on rue de Buci), lots of restaurants have the name Atlas just like there are a million Rotondes.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 01:36 PM

I ate at the L'Atlas on rue de Buci several years ago and thought it was great, but maybe it was just the romance of Paris that clouded my eyes...however, it must have been OK because my husband and I went there twice during our stay.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 01:57 PM

We enjoy the choucroute at Brasserie de I'sle St. Louis on Ile St. Louis. However I know this doesn't help you with your question about L'Atlas.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

We've just returned from dinner at l'Atlas. The choucrote garnie was as good as wheat i've had at Chez Jenny and quite a bit less expensive. However, my wife had roast chicken/frites and thougt it was rather mediocre. Dessert--geen apple ice cream with Calvodos on the side-- was very good.

Joe