Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How are the restaurant on the 7th arr. in Paris?

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:25 AM
maryann

The hotel where we are staying is in the 7th arr. in Paris, so we might do a lot of dinners in that area.
Are the restaurants expensive there?
It will be our first time there, and I understand it is a residential neighborhood.
thanks for any advice.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:13 AM
marilyn

We have stayed at the Hotel Muguet (7th Arrn) many times and we love the area. There a lot of reasonably priced restaurants around le Motte Picquet. There is also Rue Cler, a peatonal street where you can purchase food (cheese/wine etc) and also is where i always buy that extra suitcase to bring goodies home! Have a great time. Marilyn

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:29 AM
s.fowler

This is "my" Paris neighborhood so I've eaten around here a bit

You will find everything from the high-end gourmet [Violin d'Ingres to the more moderate bistro type [Thoumieux, La Fonatine de Mars], to local cafes [La Terasse, Cafe du Marche], wine bars [Sancerre] and street food from rue Cler. You will not starve at any price level

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:04 AM
Gretchen

It is a GREAT restaurant area. Here are some of our favorites.Paris Restaurants - almost all of these are in the range of 3 courses for $30-40 with wine. Some less! The
menus are all posted, of course.

La Fontaine de Mars -129 rue St. Dominique 7eme Metro Ecole Militaire
Husband had cassoulet--I had foie gras (TDF!!)

Brasserie de l’Ile Saint Louis --just behind Notre Dame across the bridge to the island. Can order house
wine by the bottle and be charged for just what you drink. Their onion tart looked sensational.

Chez Papa - rue de l’Arcade (and other locations). Recommended on a board by a frequent Paris visitor.
Specializes in Sud Ouest food, cassoulet.

Cote Seine - 45 Quai des Grand Augustins, near Notre Dame. Good solid French fare.

La Samarataine Department Store - 19 rud de lo Monnaie. If the roof is open go for a stunning view of
Paris. There is a little cafe there for a bite. A nice restaurant - La Toupary-on the5th floor.

Les Olivades - 41 Av. Segur 7eme -Metro Ecole Militaire -Provencal food. Good--service a bit slow but it
is well rated.

La Coupole - 102 Blvd. Montparnasse 14th - we went for lunch and had our best cassoulet (so far!).
Beautiful art deco room. Popular with businessmen.

Au Pied de Cochon 6 rue Coquilliere 1er - Near Les Halles and St. Eustache. THE best onion soup!!

Le Vieux Bistro - across from the side of Notre Dame. Recommended by a knowledgeable friend.

Le Florimond--19 av. de la Motte-Picquet 7eme Metro Ecole Militaire. Maybe our favorite. The owner chef
came to our table to explain all the dishes.

Le Clos des Gourmets - 16 av. Rapp 7eme Metro Alma-Marceau In the shadow of the Eiffel Tower.
Excellent prix fixe at 175FF (~25Euro).

Le Jules Verne - Phone, 01-45-55-61-44

Recommended but have not been:

Le Petit Troquet - 28 rue de l’Exposition 7eme

A restaurant we did not care for (and it is often recommended) was Thomieux on rue St. Dominique.
Thought it expensive, servers stuffy and the cassoulet not very good.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:13 AM
maryann

wow Gretchen, thank you so much. I will print this list and keep it with me when we go to Paris.
5 weeks to go!!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Eddie

One that we really enjoyed was leo le lion, in the seventh, just one street over from rue Cler (don't recall the street name, one street to the east). Very good food, lots of locals rather that loads of tourists, and reasonable priced. However, I have read that it recently changed ownership so it may not be the same.