Latin quarter hotel

Search

Latin quarter hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latin quarter hotel

I haven't been to Paris in over 20 years, and am madly trying to put together a visit in late March. We're doing a family trip to Norway, then my husband and I will have an extra five days to play around and eat in Paris. I have a ton of guide books for Asia, Central America and India, but none yet for Europe so I need some quick help.

A while back, some friends recommended the hotel "Le Home Latin" at 15 et 17, rue de Sommerard. I know it is near the Metro Maubert-Mutualiite.

My friends had stayed here a few times and really liked it, but they would stay for weeks, so I'm not sure if the area would be equally attractive for a short stay. I've lost touch with the friends, so can any of you recommend this area, or better, this hotel?

If not, do you have a favorite in an interesting location? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, as I think Norway will be cleaning us out quick enough. I would prefer someplace with comfortable beds, clean rooms and relatively quiet. Under US$200 would be great, but I'm easily swayed when it comes to travel budgets.

Also, our return flight to Hawaii out of CDG is at 8.00 AM. I'm assuming traffic might be a problem these days, so would spending our last night near the airport be a good idea?

Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 12:43 AM

Well, I do think it will be a good idea to stay near the hotel the night before, as I guess you'll have to be at the airport at about 5.00am! Ouch!! It's a shame to waste a night in Paris though.

I can't help with the hotel you ask about but I do know that if you search, there is a left bank hotel thread with lots of suggestions.

It sounds like a lovely trip.
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 04:02 AM

Check out the Hotel Familia, located in the Latin Quarter very close to the 7th.

http://www.familiahotel.com/

We spent just one night there, but enjoyed our short stay.

Byrd
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 06:52 AM

I stayed in the Grand Hotel Saint Michel last year, just off Boulevard St Michel. It was a great location, though a bit over your budget. I found it on the Paris Left Bank thread that cathies mentioned, here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 06:56 AM

Wehave stayed at La Familia too and enjoyd it. We stayed Last time at their sister hotel next door lA Minerve.It has a lobby seating area which the Familia lacks and a much better breakfast! Staff in really excellent at both.Lots of o good bistros nearby, a bank, a laundromat and 2 metro stops! Bus transport options are super Walking distance to the Seine and Notre Dame
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 07:16 AM

I haven't stayed at that hotel but did stay at the Best Western Le Jardin de Cluny right next door. My sister and I liked the location. So close to the metro stop. A short walk to Notre Dame and just off Blvd St Germaine and Rue des Ecoles where there are alot of restaurants. I think even for a short stay it's a convenient location.
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 09:46 AM

I stayed at a hotel right next door, Hotel Mrignan (http://www.hotel-marignan.com/), at 13, rue du Sommerard. Absolutely love the location, for any length of stay.
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM

Hotel Grand Ecoles! It is an amazing hotel close to many redcurrants and the metro! Stayed here every time ive been to paris!
http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 04:34 AM

I'm not clear on why you'd worry about the location for a short stay versus a long one. The location is fine for a short stay, I might say better for a short one than a long one (as tourists often have a goal of being around the Seine). I would be surprised anyone would want to stay in the Home Latin for weeks at a time rather than a short stay, it's a pretty modest hotel.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Christina, I don't know WHY this couple loved it for their month. I'm not worried, but I wondered if the neighborhood that this couple loved for a month-long base would be as appealing to us, as we want to be in the middle of things for a quick first visit.

It's like when people come to Hawaii to "winter", they often want to stay in a residential area, rather than at a busy beach front hotel in the middle of Waikiki.

I figured this would be the place to figure out if it is the right place for us.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 07:14 AM

Hey, Lcuy: I didn't know that you were off to Paris. Below is my Paris hotel thread and how to get to hotel information quickly. Have fun in Paris and Norway. I used to go to Norway a lot, back in the day. Beautiful place.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...

Jump to the bottom of the thread and then scroll up to Dec 31,2010. In that section, I have categorized the recommended hotels, by district, and have provided websites.

As for getting back to the airport early, I've had those types of real early morning flights a lot over the decades and the traffic has been fine.

Happy Travels!
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Hotel de l'esperance 15 rue pascal. Or Cary Grants all time favorite Hotel St. Louis en Isle for a reasonable splurge.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 10:04 AM

There are so many good hotels in the area, people have suggested a few of them already, i haven't stayed at the hotel Familia but its always well recommended on other forums.
I have stayed at the Hotel Diana and Hotel Eugenie and recommend both in that area.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Like TravellingVal, we stayed at Hotel Jardin de Cluny and found it very comfortable and in a terrific location. Near the Sorbonne, Notre Dame and a walk along the river. Have a good trip. Jeff
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. So many great sounding places! I have been looking at all these hotels and will commit to one very soon.

Guenmai, Your hostel post was really helpful. Paris is a lot like Bangkok.. So many special places that the city requires multiple visits to determine a favorite. (Did I tell you I've stayed at Emporium Suites twice now? I really like it there.)
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 03:07 PM

lcuy: Glad my hotel thread was of help. No, I didn't know that you'd stayed, twice, at my home-away-from-home, Emporium Suites. I knew that you had stayed there once though.

Happy Travels!
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

The second time was only one night and an early departure. It still was nice to be there and even w taxi fare was a lot cheaper than the Airport Novotel.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM

Hi lcuy,

We have stayed at the Henri IV on rue des Bernardins. Also stayed once at their sister property, Hotel Saint Jacques on rue des Ecoles. Were very happy with both, but particularly like the Henri IV. I think there is more than one Henri IV, so be sure you're looking at the one with that address! Have fun in Norway! It is quite expensive! I need to do my trip report from our Christmas trip to Oslo and Tromso. If you have any interest in WWII history, the Norwegian Resistance museum is really interesting.

Have a great trip!