Late Sept Early Oct Italy Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I have settled on a basic itinerary as follows: Fly to Milan- drive to Portofino (2 days) - Drive to Lake Como and Lake Garda(4 days)- Drive to Dolomites (3 days) Drive to Venice - (3 days).

We have been given some hotel suggestions that are staggeringly expensive, Splendido in Portofino and Villa Feltrinelli in Garda.

We would appreciate any suggestions on slightly more reasonable accomodations as well as any favorite must see or do things in these areas. Suggestions for Hiking in the Dolomites and the Lakes would be greatly appreciated along with "if you only have 3 days in Venice, what would you do"?

Neither of us have been to Italy previously and we enjoy everything from Museums to Saling to Mountain Hiking. Almost forgot, one of us is a world class shopper...

Ciao...
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:27 AM

I highly recommend Hotel Du Lac et Du Parc in riva del Garda (north) - great rates in late September. Beautiful romantic grounds...Breakfast is an eating bonanza on a huge terrace overlooking the park. We got basic double room, and enjoyed the amenities to the fullest. Here's a website-

http://www.telmec.it/index.asp?Lang=...44&Art=473

There's a great castle about 15 minutes drive north of Riva overlooking a lake -very medieval and great place to have dinner which is served inside or on a little terrace overlooking the lake. Check in Fodor's for name/number for reservations cuz I can't remember.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:11 PM

Congrats! We spent our honeymoon in Italy a few months ago! www.varenna.net for Lake Como, ask for room 1 or 2 with the big balcony if you like to sit outside to relax or picnic! Have dinner at il Cavatappi. Boat ride to Bellagio. picnics!

Venice www.hotelgalleria.it. get a large room, worth the extra dollars, perfect location. We went affordably but still had private baths and found nice charming places to stay! Loved the Church of the Friar, Rialto market, hopping on and off the vaporettos, 8am Gregorian mass at San Giorgio, the Dorsodoro back streets and markets.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:35 PM
ira

Hi ss,
Have you looked at www.venere.com or www.hotelinitaly.com?

For 3 days in Venice, there are the important places, San Marco Cathedral, Rialto Bridge, Fish market in the morning, Doge's Palace, Campanile, gondola ride, trip to Murano and Burano, Guggenhiem Museum, Accademia Museum, Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, which has two important works by Titian
the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, famous for a series of more than 50 paintings by Tintoretto; it is to Venice what the Sistine Chapel is to Rome. (Open 9:00 - 5:00).

Be sure to leave lots of time to just walk around the city. An evening ride on the Vaporetto down the Grand Canal is not wtout its charms.

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:45 PM

Instead of staying in Portofino, look into Santa Margherita. We stayed at Hotel Continental and it was outstanding. That time of the year, it will not be crowded so you'll get a water view and you'll think you died and went to heaven. When you walk down to the pier, you can get a boat to Portofino or you can walk there - I think it's only 2 miles or so.
Have a wonderful time.