SUGGESTIONS FOR SW ITINERARY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WILL BE GOING TO SHANNON MID-OCT FOR 6 NITES WITH 3 OTHER WOMEN--PLANNING ON USING B&B VOUCHERS(IS THIS A GOOD THING?) AM THINKING OF GOING TO CLIFFS OF MOHR 1ST, THEN NEXT DAY TAKING KILLIMER FERRY TO DINGLE FOR COUPLE NITES (HOW LONG OF TRIP AND SUGGESTIONS FOR B&B). NEXT WOULD BE COUPLE NITES AT ONE OF FOLLOWING: KENMARE,GLENGARRIFF,BANTRY,SKIBBEREEN, OR TIMOLEAGUE(WHICH IS BETTER CHOICE AND HOW LONG?) THEN LAST NITE AT BUNRATTY--IS THIS A REALISTIC TRIP?
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:45 AM

Some B&B's may be closed for the season by mid-October. Consider Fitzgerald's B&B in Miltown Malbay (County Clare). It's not too far from the Cliffs of Moher, Lahinch, Doolin and the Burren. Or you might want to spend your first night in Doolin. Although Miltown Malbay is closer, Doolin is not too far from the Killimer ('Kill' 'eye' 'mur') ferry terminal. Even after you get to Tarbert, it's a pretty good 'hike' to Dingle. Take it easy; plan to stop for lunch along the way. Enjoy!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:14 AM

I have heard that vouchers are not that good an idea. Some B&Bs won't accept them so you are more limited in choice. Also, they often don't end up saving you that much, so I'd look into it before I went with vouchers.

You should have no trouble finding B&Bs though even though some may be closed by then. There are B&Bs everywhere in Ireland, and most had vacancies even in August. In Bunratty I stayed at Dunaree House, 64 euro for two people including great breakfast (dunaree.com). In Kenmare we stayed at Laburnum House (60 euro double with breakfast). Both of these are fairly new homes and very nice. In Dingle we stayed at Ocean View B&B, (only 42 euro double including the best breakfast of the trip) - it's an older home and was not ensuite (although they do have ensuite rooms) but it's right on the water and the owners are extremely nice. All are within 5-10 minutes walk of the town centers.

Twenty minutes from Bantry in a town called Balleydehob was our favorite stay. It's a 200 year old farmhouse B$B run by the sweetest older woman, Leita Camier and her husband. This place is not luxury, the rooms are small and a bit worn and not ensuite. But the view is wonderful, Leita not only made us tea and cake when we got there as well as breakfast but she sat with us while we ate it and talked all about Ireland past and present. They even have a "Folk Museum" which is their barn full of stuff they have collected. Only 44 euro double. You have to book through FamilyHomes.ie, it's called 'Gurtnagrough House'.

Have a good time.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:48 AM

I would stay 1 night in the Cliffs of Moher area, two nights in Dingle (Heaton's Guesthouse or Captain's House) and three nights in Kenmare (Sallyport House).
Karen
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:52 PM

I think you have a great itinerary. The drive from the Cliffs to Dingle, using the ferry, is about 3 1/2 hours.
I think I'd choose Kenmare for your 4th and 5th nights. It's a pretty town, very walkable, lots of pubs, restaurants, and shops. The drive from Dingle to Kenmare is about 2 hours.
If you already have vouchers as part of your package, I wouldn't worry. If you still have a choice, I'd go without them.
My favorite Dingle B&B is Clonmara which you can find at www.familyhomes.ie. I think they're open through the end of October.